[Vision2020] MSD Pay and Tenure--a reply

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:54:22 +0000

Dale and Others:

Parental involvement is a critical factor in a child's education.  I won't
list facts and figures (this is not a research paper) but most people would
consider this assertion obvious.  And given this assumption,  I think one of
the best arguments for sending a child to a private school is that the
parents pay for this education directly out of their pocket (unless there
are vouchers or grants etc.), and therefore are motivated to be involved in
the education of their child, to get their money's worth, as it were.  Or
maybe this is backwards:  the fact that parents pay for a private school is
evidence they were more involved with their child's education to begin with.

Either way, I believe if you take two groups of children of identical
potential, and put each group in the same school, with all variables equal
except one group has parents who basically ignore the child's education, and
the other group has parents who read to and with their children every day,
enthusiastically discuss ideas with them, and help them with their homework
every night, you would see a major difference between the two groups in
educational performance.  Of course I am assuming someone else is not giving
the child of the neglectful parents a lot of educational attention outside
of school.

Therefore one of main causes of the difference in performance as measured on
students test scores between private and public schools is due to this one
variable of parental involvement.  The actual quality of the education in
private vs. public schools does not explain the whole difference between the
measured performance of the students.  Might not some of the test score
results of students in public schools in recent years be due to the
increasing number of families with both parents working who have less time
to be involved with their child's education?

If you took all the children from public schools and put them in private
schools and vice versa, and measured their performance years from then, I
believe you would see the public schools performance as measured on test
scores go up, and the private schools performance go down.  And not solely
due to the fact that the private schooled children might be better educated
at the start of the experiment, or because the pool of students in private
schools is skewed towards a congenitally brighter group, or from a wealthier
background, which are all important variables to consider, but in large part
because the group of children in private schools have parents who are much
more involved in their child's education.

One of the other variables that influence the differences in makeup of
private school children compared to public school children is the fact that
private schools are not forced to educate every child that shows up at the
door.  They can reject children that are disruptive or perform poorly, or
are handicapped, children that the public schools must attempt to educate,
with only the most extreme cases being expelled.  This variable clearly
skews the performance of the public schools in a disadvantageous manner.
Some of the disruptive students who perform poorly are probably influenced
by a lack of nurturing parental involvement in their life, so this variable
in part just leads us back to my main point.

I don't doubt many of the facts you present about MSD spending, Dale.  My
experience in the MSD revealed some serious faults with the public
educational system, including teachers of questionable skill with
comfortable tenured jobs!   But I think you overlook other variables that
weaken your case that the public schools are a bloated entrenched liberal
bureaucracy that wastes money without putting education first.

There are reasons why the public schools might need to spend more money per
child than a private school, valid reasons that address educational needs
that the private schools do not address, such as attempting to educate
neglected children whose parents look at school as state subsidized day
care, or busing children to school from remote rural areas, or dealing with
seriously disadvantaged or handicapped students, or funding a football team
that travels all over Idaho, a football team I might think to be a waste of
money, but that supports activities many parents and youth and the community
wants as part of MSD.  Another factor to consider is that the public
schools, being tax supported government institutions, need an added layer of
bureaucracy to deal with all the reporting requirements and documentation,
etc. imposed on them.  If you looked at all the expenses connected to all
the programs and services and administrative costs that public schools
incur, this partly explains why public education is more costly per child
than private in some cases.

Doing an exacting item by item cost comparison between, say, Logos in Moscow
and the MSD, would reveal, I believe, that there are programs that MSD
offers that do drive up costs compared to Logos, such as the Moscow Bears
Football team, but that this program and others are ones the community
wants.

As far as salaries for public school teachers and administrators being too
high, I believe the argument over this can cut both ways.  Of course you can
point to schools where the teachers do a good job on a salary that is equal
to or below the average salary at MSD.  So why increase teacher salaries?
Because the cases of some schools getting by with low paid teachers does not
prove that paying higher salaries will not attract more qualified and
motivated teachers to the teaching profession which could improve public or
private schools.

You hear it often stated, at the U of I, in the corporate world, etc. that
the justification for paying the U of I President, or the deans of certain
colleges, or the CEOs of some corporations, the huge salaries or stock
options or golden parachutes etc. is that it's the only way to get the best
people for the job.  Odd how this argument seems to be abandoned by some
when looking at the salaries of some other professions, teaching among them.

When the best and brightest can become a lawyer, a doctor, a statistician or
a computer engineer, etc. and earn far more than ANY public school teacher
in Idaho within a few years of entering their profession, do these people
favor teaching in the public schools as a option?  When our capitalist
economic system financially rewards the best and the brightest far more for
other professions than teaching, what does this say about the priority given
or the respect shown by our society for the profession of teaching?

I know you can quote average professional salaries and claim that teachers
in Idaho are reasonably well paid in comparison.   But this ignores the fact
that a lawyer or doctor or computer scientist who is among the best and
brightest, and at the top of their profession, can earn way more than ANY
public school teacher in the state of Idaho, no matter how long they teach.
This fact is well known, so I need not give facts and figures.

The best and brightest in our universities, when looking at maximizing their
future financial success, almost never consider going into teaching in a
public school, unless they have some other side venture they might be
working on to supplement their income.  "There's no money in it" they will
say!!!!!!!!!!This well known fact weakens your thesis that public school
teachers are overpaid, and raises serious questions regarding your thesis
that raising public school teaching salaries will not result in attracting
better qualified, brighter teachers who can improve public schools.

Ted