[Vision2020] How one ID school district dealt with declining enrollment

John Moss johnmoss@moscow.com
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:42:56 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_007E_01C33D1E.FAA841F0

Dear Tom, Donovan, et all,

Maybe being a Democrat, I place too high a priority on personal =
liberties, but whatever happened to the ability to choose what you =
subsidize?

When a state is spending more money on prisons (as some are) than higher =
education, what is the problem?  When a state is spending over 50% of =
its budget (as many are) on K-12 education, is this good or bad?

Most people can understand their money going to prisons.  But should =
citizens of a state be "forced" to put a chunk of their earned money =
away every year for higher education?  Whatever happened to working your =
way through college?  Initiative?  Discipline?  Drive to succeed?

Okay, some people can't afford college.  So is it their American-born =
right that they get a Bachelor's degree?  And if that, then why is it =
not also their "right" to get a Harvard degree?  Who should pay for it?

And research of state-funded scholarship programs have shown that =
instead of causing a strive for excellence, they instead landslide =
students into under-achievement, taking the easier courses to ensure the =
adequate GPA for the scholarship.  Any psychologist will tell you that =
the harder a person works for something, the more they will appreciate =
its value.  And if they don't have to work as hard for something, they =
generally care less about it.

Tom raises a good, straightforward, simple question: "What is more =
important: your tax liability or your children's future?"

Of course, the children's future.  But my tax liability today affects my =
children's future tomorrow.  What type of inheritance will I leave them?

Let's consider the following example.  I'm not proposing this, but using =
it as a case scenario: What would happen if the government didn't =
provide students with a K-12 education, and we handed more than 50% of a =
state's budget back into the pockets of the people?  Well, these greedy =
parents would obviously spend the money on personal pleasures.  Or would =
they?

It would seem that most on Vision2020 would agree that a child should =
have the opportunity to receive a good education.  When I was in school, =
my parents went out of their way many times to provide extra-curricular =
learning experiences.  Is it every child's right to have good parents?

So is the consensus on this forum that we don't want to leave =
educational choices up to a population of diverse parents, because they =
would be greedy or lazy or obviously not pay for their children to go to =
school? Or what?  Thus, we must force parents by law to pay taxes to =
fund schools.  While we are at it, let's raise taxes so that these same =
children will have cars to drive to school, and money to buy houses when =
they graduate.  (And they are going to need money for groceries.)

Some children are born to poor parents; some children are born to rich =
parents.  Some children are born to a single-parent (okay, it took two =
to get it started).  And some children are born to divorced parents.  =
Some children are born to parents who will abuse them.  And some =
children are born to parents who will sacrifice their lives to see that =
their children succeed.  Is it every American-born child's right that =
they get the same exact grade-school education, the same college =
education, the same standard of living, the same car to drive in, the =
same paying job, the same food on the table, the same vacation spots?

As I said, maybe it's just that I'm a Democrat (and neither fat, nor =
bald, nor rich) and place too high a priority on personal liberties and =
the diversity of educational opportunities.  I want my children to be =
able to receive both a quality education and a fine inheritance.  It's =
going to take hard work on my part to make that happen.  And since I am =
putting in that hard work, do you not think I have some right in the say =
of what happens to the money I have earned?  Tax laws affect everyone =
(in theory), as do minimum wage laws.  And the more restrictive the tax =
laws become, the more choice is taken out of the hands of the actual =
parents of the children.

By the way, the minimum wage laws and child labor laws surfaced together =
in the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938.  While the Act was supposed to =
shut down "oppressive" child labor, it eventually shut down almost all =
earning opportunities for children and younger teens.  And it affected =
the potential earnings of older teens.

Ask any high-school student, and they will generally tell you that the =
only jobs they can get are minimum-wage jobs.  The minimum wage =
structure has caved in on itself.  It was meant to prevent abuses, and =
it has become an abuse in itself.  Today, in the United States, a human =
being has to go through over 16 years of school before they can earn =
more than $5.35 an hour.=20

My questions for consideration are: What are a child's "rights"?  And =
what are the educational and financial choices provided to parents to =
decide for their children?

John Moss

  ----- Original Message -----=20