[Vision2020] Development...economic and otheriwse

Mark Seman FCS@Moscow.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:13:55 -0700

After reading a number of recent articles, letters to MDN and postings on
the subject, I feel compelled to add my perspective on the subject of our
local economic development.  What I have observed is not a new phenomenon,
but has been prevelent for 10-15 years.  Of particular interest to me are
economic development issues concerning construction projects.  What I've
seen is that much of the focus on this type of economic development has been
on the "backend" of such projects.  Identifying and highlighting the
positive effects that these projects will have in employing local
contractors, increasing local prosperity once businesses locate into the new
spaces, new jobs creation, increased cash flows and all the other
trickle-down effects.  What has been lacking, and is blatantly obvious to
many of us in the local A/E (architecture/engineering) sector is the almost
complete lack of support of our "frontend" services.

It would be difficult to actually quantify this assertion because of the
number of entities involved, the variety of project types, and a host of
other variables, but I feel that it's not far amiss to say that 90% of A/E
fees go to firms oustide of the area, leaving 10% to be distributed to the
local A/E's.  This is a significant amount of money (millions) that leaves
the area and does not leverage the local investment to a higher possible
extent.  Many of those expounding economic development promote the "backend"
issues and negelect the "frontend" aspects that are always part of the
equation.  I won't list specific projects at this time, but there are a
disproportionate number of projects (recent and not-so-recent) that have not
involved local design professionals.

There are many justifiable reasons to hire outside consultants for their
expertise, notoriety, or whatever - there are also just as  many justifiable
reasons that local consultants should be included for their expertise,
community involvement, intimate local connection, or whatever.  To
consistently overlook this resource is either irresponsible, irreverent, or
simply irregarded.  Having another layer of consultant involved can add to
the complexity of project coordination, but it can also add value and a
higher level of client responsiveness.  Whether at a project or community
level, it ultimately comes down to teamwork and how far that concept is
taken and how much dedication there is for and from the local community.

Public entities - the State, City, County, University, and certain other
institutions are mandated to select consultants based upon qualifications
(not bids), if fees are expected to exceed $25,000.  Too often there is a
closed-minded concept of what qualifies a consultant for a project or there
is a preconception of which firm is most appropriate.  This approach is
meant to be fair and equitable, but in reality it often does not work in
such a manner.  The qualification requirements are set and defined by the
soliciting agency and they may have inexperienced staff that are ignorant of
what their project truly needs, have "hidden agendas," or are shortsighted
and seek qualifications based on technical issues and not with a more broad
vision.

Washington state has a house bill (HB1884) proposed that will allow fees to
be taken into consideration for selecting A/E's.  I see this as evidence of
the state trying to correct a problem with a flawed process (similar to
Idaho's.)  But I don't think this is a good solution to the problem.  It
would likely lessen project quality, similarly to the current "low-bid"
selection method for contractors on public works projects.  The benefit of
HB1884, whether it passes or not, is that it will temporarily shake the
status quo and hopefully allow for a re-evaluation of current selection
methods in Washington an Idaho.

Other entities such as taxing districts, community groups, hospitals,
churches, businesses, developers, and home owners also play a similar role
in local economic development.  Any project requiring an A/E's technical,
code, accessibility or creative expertise, license stamp & signature, also
has a wider implication in our community development.  Some people have a
broader vision and are more open to these implications than others.  I do
want to extend a "Thank you" and commend the efforts of all those that have
hired and supported local A/E's for their projects.  You are a select
minority in the expanded scope of available work, that has sensed a greater
value of where you spend your project dollars.

One purpose for this email is to bring this "inside" perspective to the
public and to illustrate to those in the position to solicit professional
services, the extent to which there has been ongoing neglect of the local
A/E community.  I am intent on making government officials, LEDC, Moscow
Chamber, the business community and general public aware of this void in
local economic development discussions and will be actively campaigning to
try and change this persistent mindset.

Mark
Mark & Heather Seman
Full Circle Studios