[Vision2020] Public Info, Libel and First Step

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:08:18 +0000

Dale, Tom et. al.

I can enter V2020 archives via Google by entering my e-mail address into the
Google search window.
Still, this takes three steps to view an actual post's content: going to
Google, entering instructions into the search window, then when getting the
V2020 archive page you must click on a specific post to view the content.
However, when someone uses the subject heading to make an accusation, the
subject heading will show up on the V2020 archive page in the list of posts,
so this potential libelous content is viewed with more ease.  I think this
use of the subject heading to slip comments into peoples e-mail inboxes is a
deliberate trick to get the message accross before someone can delete the
V2020 post.

I just tried to use Google to search the internet for the actual libelous
comment in question that was posted in a V2020 post in the subject heading.
What I got back was rather ironic, because rather than the V2020 post in
question, I got numerous hits for publications, or references to
publications, of one sort or another, authored by the personage that was the
subject of the potentially libelous statement.  I did not find any hit for
the potentially libelous V2020 post in question.

So I still think my point about comparing the very public and easy
accessibility of info from a newspaper, to the more complicated and less
assessable "public" info on the V2020 archives, is valid.  I should have
simply said it takes three steps on the internet (numerous is too vague) for
someone who is not a V2020 subscriber to actually view a V2020 post.  Maybe
there is a more direct way.

But there is a major difference between a newspaper on the newsstand that
has a headline that reads "TED MOFFETT ACCUSED OF ADULTERY" compared  to a
V2020 post that with the same subject heading.  Someone passing by on the
sidewalk can accidentally read such a headline, printed in a publication
where there is a presumption that the info has been checked for accuracy.
First Step does not check V2020 posts for accuracy, and no person of average
intelligence would believe that V2020 posts are meant to be vetted factual
news reports, unless they know nothing about public list serves.

First Step might be scarred or discouraged enough to drop V2020 if someone
complained or threatened a libel suit, even if the suit would fail, because
they offer V2020 free of charge, so why bother with headaches?  But a suit
against the author of a potentially libelous V2020 post would be more likely
to succeed.

Still, damage to the person being libeled must be shown in court for a
successful libel suit, and a V2020 post has limited potential to damage
anyone's reputation or livelihood.

Consider the scandalous falsehoods the Enquirer and the Star get away with
every day!
There have been some successful libel suits brought against the big yellow
journalism rags, but they are still at it, printing the most fantastic
falsehoods about people.

Our First Amendment rights do appear to allow all sorts of offensive and
false material to be made available, and immune from legal action, that many
people think should not be allowed.  But then this is the price of free
speech, advocates will claim.

Ted