[Vision2020] Moscow and Water

Bill London london@moscow.com
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:57:51 -0700

--------------1FC57B8AB4A73F302853299B

I recently received a questionaire from the City of Moscow Water
Department, regarding water use and water conservation.
While I thought the questions and options about what our family was
willing to do to save water were relevant, I was struck by the total
lack of questions about the most obvious (to me) reason why water mining
on the Palouse is both continuing and escalating: new home construction.

Even if all of us stabilize our present water use, all those new homes
around Moscow are increasing our total use.  And new homes would use
more than older homes, in landscaping anyway, because the new trees,
lawns and shrubs take much more water than established plantings.
So, here is my question to City Supervisor Gary Riedner:  If the city is
considering how to cut water usage in Moscow, is the city investigating
the impact of new housing in Moscow, the option of a limitation on such
housing, or even a housing moratorium?
BL

John Danahy wrote:

> [...]
> solve our water crisis was to have a voluntary ban on outdoor watering
> between 9am and 6pm.  Today, three days later, the MoscowSchool
> District was watering the grass at RussellSchool at 10am, using a
> leaky hose and standard air delivered sprinklers.  At 11 am I noticed
> someone watering plants at the 1912 Building by hand using a hose.
> The action of the council was clearly designed to be feel good
> propaganda and not a meaningful response.
>
> I examined my water bill payments for all of 2002.  My payments did
> not significantly change from month to month except for July and
> August.  However, I do not know if the change was due to increased use
> or the surcharge the city puts on summer use.  I suspect some increase
> in usage but mostly the increase is the result of the surcharge..
>
> I realize that the city claim of doubled pumping of water is probably
> true.  But, when the city sends out a survey that infers private
> homeowners are solely responsible for excessive water use, and
> suggests these home owners should voluntarily cut back, it is making
> an unsupported assumption.  I do not believe that homeowners are
> responsible for the doubling of water use in the summer.  Certainly,
> some use much more, but enough to double the pumping??  Hardly!
>
> What is the city’s metered water use month by month??  How about the
> county??  School district??  Other civic and governmental
> organizations??  How much does the city pay for water??  How about our
> malls?  The fountain in downtown and at the entrance to UI?
>
> The council should take this situation seriously.  Last years ban was
> largely ignored by the individual home owner.  The council claim that
> the water department was “broke”, followed by drastic increases in
> fees, followed by the senior administrative staff getting pay
> increases on par with Spokane and Twin Falls, speaks to a city council
> with a severe lack of credibility.
>
> Let’s start with a complete examination of all water use in Moscow and
> what could be done differently.  Let’s examine recycling water where
> we can, being efficient with water use, not just at home but in all
> aspects of the community.  Let’s see the city step up to its
> responsibilities.  Yes, the aquifer is a gun pointed at the head of
> this community, but it is the city council’s finger on the trigger!
>
> At the rate it is falling, and considering water as a limiting factor,
> can this community continue to support a 13,000 student university,
> much less the projected increase to 15,000?
>
> John
>
> jdanahy@turbonet.com

--------------1FC57B8AB4A73F302853299B

I recently received a questionaire from the City of Moscow Water Department,
regarding water use and water conservation.
willing to do to save water were relevant, I was struck by the total lack
of questions about the most obvious (to me) reason why water mining on
the Palouse is both continuing and escalating: new home construction.
around Moscow are increasing our total use.&nbsp; And new homes would use
more than older homes, in landscaping anyway, because the new trees, lawns
and shrubs take much more water than established plantings.
city is considering how to cut water usage in Moscow, is the city investigating
the impact of new housing in Moscow, the option of a limitation on such
housing, or even a housing moratorium?
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=+0>On
Monday evening, the Moscow City Council decided that the way to solve our
style='font-family:Arial'>.&nbsp;
  style='font-family:Arial'>School
District</span><span
style='font-family:Arial'> was watering the grass
  style='font-family:Arial'>School</span><span
style='font-family:Arial'>
at&nbsp;</span><span
 style='font-family:Arial'>10am</span><span
style='font-family:Arial'>,
using a leaky hose and standard air delivered sprinklers.&nbsp; At&nbsp;</span><span style='font-family:
 Arial'>11
am</span><span style='font-family:Arial'> I noticed someone watering plants
at the 1912 Building by hand using a hose.&nbsp; The action of the council

font-family:Arial'></span>

font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=+0>I
examined my water bill payments for all of 2002.&nbsp; My payments did
not significantly change from month to month except for July and August.&nbsp;
However, I do not know if the change was due to increased use or the surcharge
the city puts on summer use.&nbsp; I suspect some increase in usage but

font-family:Arial'></span>

font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=+0>I
realize that the city claim of doubled pumping of water is probably true.&nbsp;
But, when the city sends out a survey that infers private homeowners are
solely responsible for excessive water use, and suggests these home owners
should voluntarily cut back, it is making an unsupported assumption.&nbsp;
I do not believe that homeowners are responsible for the doubling of water
use in the summer.&nbsp; Certainly, some use much more, but enough to double

font-family:Arial'></span>

font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=+0>What
is the city’s metered water use month by month??&nbsp; How about the county??&nbsp;
School district??&nbsp; Other civic and governmental organizations??&nbsp;
How much does the city pay for water??&nbsp; How about our malls?&nbsp;

font-family:Arial'></span>

font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=+0>The
council should take this situation seriously.&nbsp; Last years ban was
largely ignored by the individual home owner.&nbsp; The council claim that
the water department was “broke”, followed by drastic increases in fees,
followed by the senior administrative staff getting pay increases on par
with&nbsp;</span><span style='font-family:
speaks to a city council with a severe lack of credibility.</font></span>

font-family:Arial'></span>

font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=+0>Let’s
and what could be done differently.&nbsp; Let’s examine recycling water
where we can, being efficient with water use, not just at home but in all
aspects of the community.&nbsp; Let’s see the city step up to its responsibilities.&nbsp;
Yes, the aquifer is a gun pointed at the head of this community, but it
is the city council’s finger on the trigger!</font></span>

font-family:Arial'></span>

font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=+0>At
the rate it is falling, and considering water as a limiting factor, can
this community continue to support a 13,000 student university, much less

font-family:Arial'></span>

font-family:Arial'></span>

font-family:Arial'></span>

font-family:Arial'></span></div>