[Vision2020] High-stakes testing...

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:38:10 -0700

Saundra:

I can't speak for anyone but myself on testing and the time it takes,
but for what it's worth, here's the opinion of a local public high
school teacher.

"Nickelby" (The Federal No Child Left Behind Act) pretty much requires
states to put comprehensive progress and exiting tests in place, or
risk losing federal funding.  Which is how the Feds get the Department
of Education's nose under the state and local educational tent,
responsibility and control of education being something notionally left
at the state and local level by the Founding Founders.

The tiny-minded solons at our beloved "Idaho Ledge" are also into the
act, with mandated state testing in primary, junior high and high
school, and high stakes exit testing on the edge of being mandatory for
graduation from high school.  They are also into putting teachers and
schools on notice that if there isn't measurable improvement both
overall and as individual students progress through the public school
system, both schools and teachers will be penalized.

Here's what I think.  We work in a bureaucratized system that
desperately needs something to quantify.  You can quantify objective
test results.  But that does not really indicate that education is
taking place so much as it indicates fact memorization and acquisition
of test-taking skills.  There is a body of essential facts in each
academic discipline that kids have to know in order to be minimally
competent, granted, but the most important skills they need to acquire
are how to learn, how to reason, how to take disparate discrete facts
and synthesize them into coherent theories and integrated ideas, how to
research effectively and write persuasively and formally in their base
languagein all of their classes, not just in English.  These things are
much more slippery than facts to objectively test.  And, as the Romans
said, "Custodet Quis Custodiet"("Who Will Watch the Watchers?")... who
writes the tests, who determines what they measure, and if they are
culture-fair and balanced, and who interprets the results?

Under "Nicklelby" and the current state requirements, teachers and
schools will be unfairly penalized if students fail.  Why do I say
that?  Because teachers and schools are the only third of the
three-tiered educational partnership that bureaucrats can affect.  The
other two-thirds are parental support of education and individual
students' willingness and readiness to learn, and neither of those have
handles that the system can sanction effectively.  The best teacher in
the world, competent and professional in their discipline, and
motivated to teach kids, can't succeed if the other two factors are
absent.  But it is teachers who will take the hit if kids fail, because
they can be penalized, and the other two facets can't.

Don't misunderstand me... I think some kind of exit test is essential
to assure that our high school degree is not just a meaningless piece
of paper and a "social" sop to politically-correct "feel-gooders" who
want to graduate illiterates because it will make them feel good about
themselves.  But parents and students must be held accountable for
failure, too, not just teachers.

As for the time required to test, yes, it does take away essential
class teaching time from teachers.  But honestly, it is a drop in the
bucket in terms of the class interruptions we experience on a daily,
weekly, monthly and yearly basis.  I was frustrated enough with
purloined class time last year to sit down and compute how many days I
was able to teach my classes uninterrupted during the school year.
After itemizing the data from the daily bulletins, which I keep in a
loose-leaf binder, the answer was slightly more than half.  That counts
time cut from my classes for assemblies, releases for sports
activities, and other distractors like half or all-day field trips for
band, other classes, academic competitions, the one week Arts Fest,
etc., but not the constant individual pulling out of students during
class for counseling appointments, meetings with administrators,
medical and dental appointments, handing out the student newspaper,
tech crew prepping the auditorium for assemblies, student government,
etc.  It also doesn't tally the portions of periods I have to give up
to hold student elections, have counselors talk to juniors about their
senior year and pre-register for their classes, or anything else anyone
can think up that takes my class time.

If I sound frustrated, I am.  I once asked my principal, "When is the
last time we preempted a football game for a History class?"  Sports
are particularly egregious in the springtime.  With kids involved in
baseball, softball, golf, track and wrestling and who knows what else
all being released early for sports, there have been times in
afternoons in the spring when I simply cancelled class for the 4 or 5
students I had left in a section, because attempting to teach anything
would be a waste of time.  Given that we are in a lightly-populated
area of the country, and teams routinely travel to places like
Grangeville and Sand Point, the interruptions of the educational
process are constant and annoying.  It is a wonder that they have time
to learn anything at all, given the amount of time I have to teach.

Frustratedly yours,

Don Kaag