[Vision2020] free speech

Saundra Lund sslund@moscow.com
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:53:35 -0700

Ms. Montgomery wrote:
"Hasn't anyone realized the rediculous waste of money and resources that
standardized testing is?"

I'd like to think a lot of people, especially teachers, realize this.
My best friend is a teacher (in another district) and told me exactly
how many teaching days he lost this past year due to standardized
testing -- that was a real eye-opener.  Also, I heard several teachers
in this district complaining about the loss of teaching time due to the
testing.

I'm certainly not an expert on the topic, but I do think there are
(many) problems with standardized testing, most especially the teaching
time lost for the testing itself, training teachers for the testing,
teaching to the testing (which is, IMHO, done far more often & intensely
than most anyone admits), etc.

OTOH, I do believe that schools need to be held accountable for teaching
our kids, and I'm not sure how effective non-standardized-testing
methods of assessing education are/would be.

Thoughts?

Saundra Lund
Moscow, Idaho

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to
do nothing.
Edmund Burke