[Vision2020] How About This Great Post From R. Huskey?

Remember This?? stopchristchurch@yahoo.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:03:21 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1797874357-1056413001=:93661

FROM AUGUST 21, 2002

DonaldH675@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Visionaries,
> Just to clarify my understanding of Doug Wilson et al.'s understanding of the
> noble nature of keeping slaves I extended my research today.  The following
> web address deals with the issue of "theonomy' or 'christian
> reconstructionism', " which is, as nearly as I can tell, the operational
> nature of christian government, family management etc.  The article can be
> found at the website below.
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=theonomists+%2B+roche
>
> The article, written by Dr. Thomas P. Roche, appears in Religion and Politics
> Digest, an on-line Calvinistic-style journal.  Dr. Roche is an academically
> trained scholar, with a specialty in classics, who it appears, is a
> traditional Presbyterian, with a trained researchers interest in exposing
> self promoting ministers and their crackpot world views.  Although the
> article is very long, and the terminology obtuse at times, Christ Church, its
> growth, development and leadership does get plenty of exposure.
> Among many interesting statements, I found the following to be especially
> germane to recent discussions.
> "Perhaps the most common of these is that held by myriads of would-be Col.
> Culpepers, men who believe that the ante-bellum American south was the
> greatest, godliest, paradise in the history of the World, and the north was a
> bastion of wickedness utterly subsumed to Unitarianism and proto-marxism,
> etc. Slavery gets barely a mention and, when pressed, many of these dudes
> defend the refusal of Christian masters to teach their slaves to read, to
> give them freedom on voluntary acceptance of baptism, as was centuries-old
> church practice....
> Yet, somehow, acceptance of a growing list of myths associated with the old
> south and corresponding north, seems to be de rigeur in the movement, and
> those evincing pro-Union views tend to receive harsh treatments not mollified
> by facts. Add this to a wistful and delusional nostalgia for old-style
> agrarianism (made the more pathetic when argued for on electronic mail
> mailing lists!), and one finds many of these guys just laughable... those,
> that is, who are not actually in power to make their vision perhaps come
> true. Many of these guys are young, impressionable fellows who are
> nonetheless likely quite harmless, but there are scarier advocates,
> nonetheless. One especially unctious individual comes to mind, the Rev. J.
> Steven Wilkins, currently a PCA pastor in Monroe, Louisiana. Holding an MA in
> history, Wilkins is perhaps the leading revisionist neo-confederate and
> Yankee-hater (these people turn 'Yankee' into a smear term meaning
> 'Big-Brother unitarian and ignore the fact that millions of New Englanders
> own the term as one of ethnic pride) in theonomic circles today. In addition
> to being a promoter of the paedocommuionist heresy, he sponsors an annual
> [...]

<P>FROM AUGUST 21, 2002</P>
<P>DonaldH675@aol.com wrote:<BR></P>
<P>&gt; Dear Visionaries,<BR>&gt; Just to clarify my understanding of Doug Wilson et al.'s understanding of the <BR>&gt; noble nature of keeping slaves I extended my research today.&nbsp; The following <BR>&gt; web address deals with the issue of "theonomy' or 'christian <BR>&gt; reconstructionism', " which is, as nearly as I can tell, the operational <BR>&gt; nature of christian government, family management etc.&nbsp; The article can be <BR>&gt; found at the website below.<BR>&gt; <A href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en" target=_top>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en</A>&amp;ie=ISO-8859-1&amp;q=theonomists+%2B+roche<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The article, written by Dr. Thomas P. Roche, appears in Religion and Politics <BR>&gt; Digest, an on-line Calvinistic-style journal.&nbsp; Dr. Roche is an academically <BR>&gt; trained scholar, with a specialty in classics, who it appears, is a <BR>&gt; traditional Presbyterian, with a trained researchers interest in exposing <BR>&gt; self !
 promoting
 ministers and their crackpot world views.&nbsp; Although the <BR>&gt; article is very long, and the terminology obtuse at times, Christ Church, its <BR>&gt; growth, development and leadership does get plenty of exposure.<BR>&gt; Among many interesting statements, I found the following to be especially <BR>&gt; germane to recent discussions.<BR>&gt; "Perhaps the most common of these is that held by myriads of would-be Col. <BR>&gt; Culpepers, men who believe that the ante-bellum American south was the <BR>&gt; greatest, godliest, paradise in the history of the World, and the north was a <BR>&gt; bastion of wickedness utterly subsumed to Unitarianism and proto-marxism, <BR>&gt; etc. Slavery gets barely a mention and, when pressed, many of these dudes <BR>&gt; defend the refusal of Christian masters to teach their slaves to read, to <BR>&gt; give them freedom on voluntary acceptance of baptism, as was centuries-old <BR>&gt; church practice....<BR>&gt; Yet, somehow, acceptance !
 of a
 growing list of myths associated with the old <BR>&gt; south and corresponding north, seems to be de rigeur in the movement, and <BR>&gt; those evincing pro-Union views tend to receive harsh treatments not mollified <BR>&gt; by facts. Add this to a wistful and delusional nostalgia for old-style <BR>&gt; agrarianism (made the more pathetic when argued for on electronic mail <BR>&gt; mailing lists!), and one finds many of these guys just laughable... those, <BR>&gt; that is, who are not actually in power to make their vision perhaps come <BR>&gt; true. Many of these guys are young, impressionable fellows who are <BR>&gt; nonetheless likely quite harmless, but there are scarier advocates, <BR>&gt; nonetheless. One especially unctious individual comes to mind, the Rev. <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #a0ffff">J</B>. <BR>&gt; <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #99ff99">Steven </B><B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999">Wilkins</B>, currently a PCA pas!
 tor in
 Monroe, Louisiana. Holding an MA in <BR>&gt; history, <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999">Wilkins</B> is perhaps the leading revisionist neo-confederate and <BR>&gt; Yankee-hater (these people turn 'Yankee' into a smear term meaning <BR>&gt; 'Big-Brother unitarian and ignore the fact that millions of New Englanders <BR>&gt; own the term as one of ethnic pride) in theonomic circles today. In addition <BR>&gt; to being a promoter of the paedocommuionist heresy, he sponsors an annual <BR>&gt; 'Confederate Heritage Conference' AT HIS CHURCH, where mostly true-believer <BR>&gt; guests learn all about dem damnyankees, how great ante-bellum Mississippi was <BR>&gt; (for massa), etc., all recorded for posterity on tape. On one of his 'History <BR>&gt; of America' tapes, <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999">Wilkins</B> actually claimed that, although we were going to <BR>&gt; hear a different version of US history from him than we had heard from our <BR>!
 &gt;
 'atheistic professors', we should accept his version of reality, since it <BR>&gt; came from a Christian (hint to brethren from the State of Rhode Island and <BR>&gt; Providence Plantations, pass on his 'Roger Williams' and "Rhode Island" tapes <BR>&gt; unless you've a strong constitution and have not eaten recently). On one <BR>&gt; 'Confederate Heritage' tape he notes the work of southern scholar Grady <BR>&gt; McWhiney, 'Cracker Culture', which gives a detailed warts-and-all treatment <BR>&gt; of ante-bellum Scotch-Irish southern frontiersmen. I read the book on this <BR>&gt; notation from <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999">Wilkins</B>; methinks he had not read it when he mentioned it, but <BR>&gt; when I tried to call him on the less than idyllic portrayal of southern <BR>&gt; history McWhiney offers (as opposed to <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999">Wilkins</B>' halcyon one), <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999">Wilkins</B> !
 <BR>&gt;
 initially denied mentioning the book but later blathered on something about <BR>&gt; McWhiney getting it wrong, not appreciating the great role of 'Calvininsm' in <BR>&gt; the ante-bellum south, etc. Now this would be a mere quirk of one fringe <BR>&gt; pastor, were <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999">Wilkins</B> not increasingly very successful at getting converts to <BR>&gt; his new way of looking at reality. I know one young man who qualifies as such <BR>&gt; hook, line, and sinker, and there is another such convert, who is in a much <BR>&gt; greater position to let <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999">Wilkins</B> make real trouble... Doug Wilson. Simply put, <BR>&gt; <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999">Wilkins</B> is Wilson's intellectual superior, and in recent years, the two men's <BR>&gt; association has grown quite close, with all the signs pointing to a <BR>&gt; wholesale, uncritical acceptance by Wilson, of Wilkinsism. W!
 ilson is
 already <BR>&gt; co-hosting Wilkinsite "American History" conferences in Moscow/elsewhere, <BR>&gt; heavily promoted to his CA/Canon Press as well as his "Classical Christian <BR>&gt; School" clienteles. Speaking as one Yankee who also cares about history and <BR>&gt; reality, this does not, in my opinion, bode at all well for the future, both <BR>&gt; in and out of the theonomy movement."<BR>&gt; I would urge all interested persons to take a look at this website. If you <BR>&gt; are not interested in reading all of it, scroll down about 1/2 through the <BR>&gt; article and learn about the history, background and attraction between the <BR>&gt; defense of slavery and Christ Church.&nbsp; By the way, Canon Press will be <BR>&gt; releasing another of Steve Wilkin's noble Confederacy "books" in September.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>&gt; Enjoy the reading,<BR>&gt; Rose <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66">Huskey</B><BR>&gt; <BR></P>
<DIV></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1797874357-1056413001=:93661--