[Vision2020] Religious Diversity Education

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:12:37 +0000

Luke et. al.

Your analogy of religion being like basketball degenerating into chaos with
no rules to play the game when you take a view that having rules is so
intolerant of other ways of playing basketball, demonstrates the extreme
thinking you have adopted.  We are to assume from this analogy that if we do
not agree that one religion must be the correct and true religion, and
reject the "relativistic" view that accepts that many religions may have
truth with no one can knowing with absolute certainty what view of God or
religion is the one true view, that we will be in the fix of trying to play
the game of life with no rules, like a basketball game played without even a
rule that the ball must go through the hoop.

However, look at how basketball is really played.  The NBA has changed the
rules in recent years, bringing the three point line closer to the basket,
and altering the rules on how much an offensive player may be impeded in
progress to the basket without a foul call.  Chaos did not result from these
rule changes.  People still enjoy basketball and follow rules of the game.
NCAA rules are different than NBA rules, but does this result in the chaos
you imply?  Of course no one is going to abandon the rule about the ball
going in the hoop.  That would be absurd.

Likewise, look at how religions really operate.  Rules have changed.  Some
branches of Christianity allow women in positions of spiritual power that
previously they did not.  Some churches have stopped persecuting gays.  But
certain core beliefs in these religions have not changed.  Murder and theft
and fraud are still regarded as sins.  Your insistence that if we all do not
follow exactly one view of religion, and declare the others false, that
ethical chaos results, does not hold up to the evidence of how people live
their lives.

You and I can disagree on many issues, yet we can live together in peace.
In fact, I can be an atheist, and you can follow the Bible, and if we agree
that murder, theft, fraud and violence are not good for society, we can get
along just fine, unless one of us starts insisting that the other one must
follow their beliefs down to the last detail, or they are doomed to hell,
from the bible believer's point of view, or doomed to dogmatic superstitious
nonsense, from the atheist's point of view.

Acceptance of differing religious points of view, coupled with the humility
derived from realizing that the ultimate truth may be beyond anyone's
understanding, is not what creates evil in our world.  Much of the evil
comes from people who think they have the ultimate truth which gives them
the right to violently impose this on other people, and kill or imprison
them if they do not agree.

I asked you in a previous vision2020 post if the men who carried out the
9/11 attacks had been given a diverse religious education when they grew up,
that taught them to respect other religious points of view, and to be humble
about asserting that their religion had to be the only true religion, would
they have been as likely to carry out the 9/11 attacks?

Well?

Ted