[Vision2020] (no subject)

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:38:02 EDT

--part1_173.1bc4b75f.2c1e08fa_boundary

Dear Visionaries,
Joe's thoughtful answer expressed the dilemma of civilians under a
totalitarian regime far better than my email.  Tom's experience reflects a facet of the
story too.  Although Goldhagen's book is controversial, I find both his thesis
and arguments compelling.  Another interesting source is the great German
film The Nasty Girl,  (schreckliche Maedchen, Das)  A review from the Baltimore
City Paper:
"Where were you from 1939 to 1945? Where are you now?" reads the German
graffiti scrawled along a wall under the opening credits of Michael Verhoeven's
fact-based black comedy The Nasty Girl. The girl of the title is headstrong,
determined Sonja Rosenberger (an animated Lena Stolze), who goes from a whistling
pig-tailed model schoolgirl to a yodeling town pariah when she takes up a
national essay contest whose theme is "My Town in the Third Reich." As the essay
develops into a university Ph.D. topic and then a book, Sonja battles her
entire town to gain access to critical files that reveal the town's history in a
shrewdly farcical tale whose humor only heightens its abruptly shocking and
frightening turns. Verhoeven's imaginative staging, creative use of backdrops,
energetic cutting, and blend of black and white and color create a provocative
scrutiny of the ever-sensitive subject of Germany's 20th-century past."  <A HREF="http://www.citypaper.com/1999-09-13/rewind39.html">
http://www.citypaper.com/1999-09-13/rewind39.html</A>
For those interested I'm sure a local video store would have it.  It was
nominated for both a Golden Globe and an Academy Award in 1990.
Take care,
Rose Huskey

--part1_173.1bc4b75f.2c1e08fa_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Dear Visionaries,<BR>
Joe's thoughtful answer expressed the dilemma of civilians under a totalitar=
ian regime far better than my email.&nbsp; Tom's experience reflects a facet=
 of the story too.&nbsp; Although Goldhagen's book is controversial, I find=20=
both his thesis and arguments compelling.&nbsp; Another interesting source i=
s the great German film The Nasty Girl,&nbsp; (schreckliche Maedchen, Das) =20=
A review from the Baltimore City Paper:<BR>
"Where were you from 1939 to 1945? Where are you now?" reads the German graf=
fiti scrawled along a wall under the opening credits of Michael Verhoeven's=20=
fact-based black comedy <I>The Nasty Girl</I>. The girl of the title is head=
strong, determined Sonja Rosenberger (an animated Lena Stolze), who goes fro=
m a whistling pig-tailed model schoolgirl to a yodeling town pariah when she=
 takes up a national essay contest whose theme is "My Town in the Third Reic=
h." As the essay develops into a university Ph.D. topic and then a book, Son=
ja battles her entire town to gain access to critical files that reveal the=20=
town's history in a shrewdly farcical tale whose humor only heightens its ab=
ruptly shocking and frightening turns. Verhoeven's imaginative staging, crea=
tive use of backdrops, energetic cutting, and blend of black and white and c=
olor create a provocative scrutiny of the ever-sensitive subject of Germany'=
s 20th-century past."&nbsp; <A HREF=3D"http://www.citypaper.com/1999-09-13/r=
ewind39.html">http://www.citypaper.com/1999-09-13/rewind39.html</A><BR>
For those interested I'm sure a local video store would have it.&nbsp; It wa=
s nominated for both a Golden Globe and an Academy Award in 1990.<BR>
Take care,<BR>
Rose Huskey</FONT></HTML>

--part1_173.1bc4b75f.2c1e08fa_boundary--