[Vision2020] Re: Religious Diversity Education

Luke lukenieuwsma@softhome.net
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:25:14 -0700

Mr. Moffett:

> A quick reply on one point:  the "Problem of Evil" is well known and
studied
> and the solutions you offer are a bit glib.  God allowed man to sin so
that
> he could glorify himself and make man more glorious?  What am I missing
> here?  If he allows man to sin, and could stop this sin, is not God partly
> responsible for the sin, and therefore no longer all Good?

    Not at all. Like I said, evil exists as simply the opposite of good.
It's like turning on a light bulb in a room; the moment the light is on,
darkness exists as wherever the light isn't. If you take the light out of
the room, there is instant blackness without it being the light's fault. God
draws straight with crooked lines, working His will even through those who
rebel against Him.

> And further, if God is all powerful, why not just make man as glorious as
> possible from the start and skip the existence of evil in any form?

Frankly, I cannot answer that question. I don't know the full mind and
reasoning of God, and neither can you or anyone. Many things are revealed to
us in the Scriptures, but not all. It may be that the way He chose would
bring Him more glory than any other way, but we can't know that.
What we do know is that God is perfect, and all men are born in sin, and
that there is a sacrifice for the guilt that the sin brings, the death of
Christ. But it is not for us sinners to question God's motives. They are
just.

Cheers,
Luke