[Vision2020] Sustainable Growth

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 23:38:13 +0000

Bill et. al.

Anyone who has lived in Moscow for decades can attest to the reduction in
the quality of life in downtown Moscow in terms of traffic congestion and
air quality.  A friend of mine who lived in Moscow 30 years ago, and has
recently returned, noticed how bad the air has become in downtown Moscow
during rush hour.  You don't need the EPA to figure this out.  Your nose and
lungs tell you plainly.

Well, we are told this is the price of progress!  Along with all the armored
tanks, um, I mean SUVs, now appearing in greater numbers on Moscow's
streets, adding their contribution to the "progress" towards fresh air and
lessening dependence on foreign oil.

Anyways, as you stated, the devil is in the details (my wording) of the
planning and zoning laws and regulations, etc.  If they are changed to be
more "business friendly" (what a cheery sounding phrase!) rather than
"anti-growth" (bad, bad anti-growth people!) in a manner disregarding or
downplaying other values of quality of life, developers will take advantage
of this as certainly as air, um, I mean, exhaust, fills a vacuum!

Ted