[Vision2020] University dollars

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:01:14 -0700

Bill:

WHAT "new faculty"?  New PhD's cruising into town and being put off by
high property taxes is the least of our problems in higher education.
Drive around and look at all of the homes on the market in Moscow and
Pullman right now.

Both UI and WSU are reeling from legislatively-mandated, draconian,
funding cuts, and additionally, in UI's case, financial scandal.

Both universities, driven by lack of dollars, are cutting budgets and
programs, staff and faculty.  (With the ludicrous exception of WSU's
ill-timed attempt to expand their golf course... that is the wrong
battle at the wrong time, given aquifer and budget constraints, for the
wrong reasons.)  Salaries and benefits have been, and will be for the
immediate future, stagnant, if not reduced, which is a net income loss
for all of the people employed by either university that still have
reasonably-secure jobs, and that impacts every business in the Palouse
region.

Both universities are hemorhaging faculty that they didn't lay off, as
highly-qualified individuals with marketable skills and experience see
the handwriting on the wall and leave for better-paying jobs at other,
out-of-state, institutions of higher learning, where their prospects
are much brighter than if they tightened their belts and stayed on the
Palouse.   Replacing them is going to be very difficult, given what the
universities can offer prospective out-of-state hires.

High property taxes, while certainly a problem, are infinitesimal
compared to the other problems faced by our  two universities, which
are virtually self-destructing under our eyes. Ask around... the morale
at both institutions is pitiful.  If and when the money crisis is
solved by an improving economy, it will take years to rebuild both
institutions back to where they were prior to the national and state
financial crises we currently face, let along for them to improve.

I have suggested to my friends that we have "Washington State Normal
School and Agricultural Experiment Station" T-shirts commissioned to
indicate WSU's new, diminished, status.  For UI, I propose a line
sketch of the vacant lot in Boise, superimposed on an outline of Old
Main, with the caption, "UI:  Good Dreams Gone Bad".

Regards,

Don Kaag