[Vision2020] City Taxes, again

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:56:50 -0700

Phil writes:

"The University is supposed to be a nonprofit educational system. What are
>they doing in the housing business? The apartment business? Those are
>profit
>bearing. They have nothing to do with higher education. That portion of the
>University business should not be tax free. They should pay property taxes
>the same
>as the rest of us. We educate their kids. We handle their sewage and water.
>Wake up! I'll bet ya a smart attorney might be able to slap the University
>around with that one."

I am nearly having a heart attack! Me and Phil Agree! This is exactly what I
have been saying for about 3 years at the UI.
They are in the health care business, the health club business, the road
care business, the farming business, the mall business, the computer
business, the housing business, the food business, the laundry business, the
gardening business, the photocopy business, the clothing business, and the
food service business. They need to get out of all that and get back to the
business they are paid to do, education.

We need to shut down the Wallace Complex, the McConnell Building, and the
Tower. We need to sell the land that Fraternities and Sororities are on. We
need to give control of the city streets back to the City, We need to sell
the land under the Palouse Mall. We need to get rid of the pointless
required health insurance that covers nothing and then kick Sodexho out of
Moscow. The people of Moscow are smart enough to provide these services
without the help of national corporations or the government stepping in to
baby-sit us, and we don't need the profits going to stock investors and
CEO's in New York, we need them here in Moscow.  Moscow residents are are
getting the $5.15 an hour jobs while others are making huge profits off our
labor, this needs to stop. Before the 1980's Moscow Residents use to live
pretty well, now they are spending about 40 percent of their income just on
housing and paying ever increasing property taxes.

Thanks!

Donovan J Arnold