[Vision2020] Letter to the Editor: Teacher salary article was incomplete

Tim Lohrmann timlohr@yahoo.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:02:29 -0700 (PDT)

Don,
     This is an era when teachers are being laid off
from their jobs because of either a lack of funding or
a decline in the number of students or both.
    Why doesn't the teacher's union, in the spirit of
solidarity, voluntarily adopt an across the board pay
cut for all teachers and especially the higher paid
administrators in the approximate per-capita amount
that it would require to retain those teachers?
    The issue these days doesn't seem to involve
teachers with much bargaining power to make demands
other than retaining their jobs. There are many
qualified teachers in Moscow who are unemployed,
underemployed etc. Most teaching jobs advertised in
the public schools hereabouts receive dozens of
applications.
    If the union is sincerely concerned with the
cutbacks and layoffs it would seem that they should
demonstrate it.

 TL