[Vision2020] city taxes

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:59:47 -0700

Jon,

I follow your argument. However, I disagree with cutting jobs in a time of
economic stress. Often times Government jobs produce a stable economy. When
you cut city jobs, they lose their jobs and spend less, causing others to
lose their jobs, and than causing others to lose their jobs, and on and on.

When we have a poor economy, it is time to raise taxes and have the
government create jobs for those because the private sector is not producing
them. Government jobs pay money to people that go out and spend that money
generating more jobs.

The problem is how the government is raising that money. Property taxes
don't hit the wealthy as hard as the middle class and those living on a
fixed income. We need to get the money locked up in the bank accounts of the
wealthiest 10% and put that into producing more government jobs that will in
turn spend money and generate more jobs. Over taxing the middle and lower
classes generates more poverty and causes them to spend less in the
community destroying more jobs. No, the time to tax, build, and spend is
when the economy is suffering.

When the economy is good people don't need the government as much and it
should not build and grow nearly as quickly, or it should shrink.

In a poor economy jobs go down, crime goes up, education goes down, and
interests rates go down. We should counter this by building when interest
rates are less and jobs are scarce. We should fine criminal and criminal
causing activity more to generate wealth for police enforcement and deter
crime, and produce jobs. We should hire more teachers to train out of work
residents and produce jobs. This doesn't work though when you use Property
Taxes. People pay property taxes not according to their ability to pay. If
you are employed or not employed you have to pay the property taxes. Since
you home is the last thing you want to give up you spend less on other
things. This hurts the economy. I would come up with another form of
taxation to help deal with our economy. Not property taxes that hurt more
than they help people.

Thanks!

Donovan J Arnold