[Vision2020] city tazes

Shawn Clabough shawnc@outtrack.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:17:00 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3555E.5934DFB0

Just to comment on a common misconception.  The part of the computing fee
that goes to printer allotments was not calculated by taking the number of
students * 500 pages, but by the number of students * average number of
pages each person prints.  Therefore, it is not a money-maker as you state.
So if everyone used their full 500 pages, the average would increase.  But
pages.

Shawn

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Nieuwsma [mailto:joshuahendrik@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 3:13 PM
To: vision
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] city tazes

Visionaries,
As a U of I student, I can concur with almost all of Mr. Arnold's comments
about the UI administrations policies and money-making schemes, although I
almost never agree with anything he says :). It is entirely true that the
students end up throwing their money away at the end of the semester due to
the Flex Money plan. I got free food from the both fall semester and spring
semester from that university courtesy (or lack thereof!). Same thing goes
for smaller things like printer paper allotments (500 pages/semester,
non-transferable to the next semester even though you got charged for it in
your student fees). The university explains that not passing the pages to
the next semester "saves the UI money". Well, actually, multiplied by
several thousand students, that makes them money, since most people I know
don't end up using all their pages, but often have a couple hundred left. I
know I did.  (...)

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3555E.5934DFB0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=929470323-28072003>Just
to comment on a common misconception.&nbsp; The part of the computing fee that
goes to printer allotments was not calculated by taking the number of students *
500 pages, but by the number of students * average number of pages each person
prints.&nbsp; Therefore, it is not a money-maker as you state.&nbsp; So if
everyone used their full 500 pages, the average would increase.&nbsp; But in
response to comments, they are changing the&nbsp;policy&nbsp;to roll-over unused
pages.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN
class=929470323-28072003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN
class=929470323-28072003>Shawn</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr align=left><FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Joshua Nieuwsma
  [mailto:joshuahendrik@yahoo.com] <BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, July 28, 2003 3:13
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> vision<BR><B>Subject:</B> RE: [Vision2020] city
  tazes<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>Visionaries,</DIV>
  <DIV>As a U of I student, I can concur with almost all of Mr. Arnold's
  comments about the UI administrations policies and money-making schemes,
  although I almost never agree with anything he says :). It is entirely true
  that the students end up throwing their money away at the end of the semester
  due to the Flex Money plan. I got free food from the both fall semester and
  spring semester from that university courtesy (or lack thereof!). Same thing
  goes for smaller things like&nbsp;printer paper allotments (500
  pages/semester, non-transferable to the next semester&nbsp;even though you got
  charged for it in your&nbsp;student fees). The university explains
  that&nbsp;not passing the pages to the next semester "saves the UI money".
  Well, actually, multiplied by several thousand students, that makes
  them&nbsp;money, since most people I know don't end up using all their pages,
  but&nbsp;often have a couple hundred left. I know I did.&nbsp;<SPAN
  class=929470323-28072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>&nbsp;(...)&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3555E.5934DFB0--