[Vision2020] city tazes

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:22:21 -0700

I am know I am viewed as major liberal but I would oppose that move. I think
property taxes in Moscow are already outrageous and people can't afford to
pay anymore. I think they need to look at other ways of raising money
instead of unfairly and unjustly always picking on property owners. 25% of
the population live on Campus, so they don't pay ANY property taxes. People
that live off campus and own homes pay all the taxes. It does effect renters
because they pay rent and covers the property tax.

I think a tax on hotels, beer, services, and an increase in fines would be
more appropriate for an increase. I think that homeowners are about to be
taxed out of their homes pretty soon if this continues.

Property tax doesn't work well in Moscow for two basic reasons.

1) Homes are over valued because students can cram five people into an
apartment with two rooms and pay $1000. A family of four with one full time
worker and a part time worker can't afford $1000 in rent. However, renters
will charge all they can and students will pay it.

2) We refuse to build more housing. Moscow has a 99% occupancy rate. When
there are no choices for a place to stay rent goes up and the standard of
living goes down.

If we would build more housing we could spread the burden of schools, the
hospital, fire departments, and of city services out a little bit more
rather than placing the burden on a small percentage of the population.

Thanks!

Donovan J Arnold