[Vision2020] Bush's Africa trip

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:34:37 -0700

Carl wrote:
> Tim, I can't answer the how or why, I just passed along the
> contents of the e-mail.  Perhaps a case of a small,
> impoverished, weak African nation being
> overwhelmed by American power and hubris?

Actually, it is just this very kind of thing that the smaller countries
*need* to do. Can you imagine the uproar if they said "no, we're not going
to trash our forests for a Presidential visit!"

However, they are probably *more* intimidated about a potential _reduction_
in foreign aid more than anything else. So from their perspective,
clear-cutting the land is a small price to pay for what they will get back
in $$$$

Just a thought.

Best,
Dale