[Vision2020] Gray water

Saundra Lund sslund@moscow.com
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:07:05 -0700

This is a topic of great interest to me & I'd like to learn more about
gray watering systems.  I never realized just how much water is wasted
in our household until the outdoor water use restrictions last year
(just as much of our garden was getting ready to produce in abundance)
and we started collecting what we could to use outdoors.  Things like
waiting for the water to get hot before jumping into the shower or
washing up, how much relatively clean water goes down the drain when
showering (even short showers), how much water is wasted rinsing soap
off dishes after washing them -- a real eye-opening experience!  And,
unfortunately, regularly hauling buckets of water aren't in this
household's future as the adults have bad backs, and as we found out
last year, water is heavy and awkward to carry around.

About all I know about household gray watering systems is that the cost
is significantly less when incorporated into new construction than it is
to retrofit an existing home.

So, if anyone has any info they care to share, including cost ideas, I'd
love to learn more -- the pros & cons  :-))

Mr. Courtney, since it seems like you've already done some research, can
you please share more about how Moscow's gray water requirements differ
from those in places like CA & AZ?  If not, can you point us to where we
can learn more?

I'm also interested in knowing why gray watering systems aren't
mandatory for new construction in Moscow?  With my extremely limited
knowledge, it would seem to me that requiring gray watering systems in
new construction would result in significant water savings for our
community.  In at least some locations in CA, which Mr. Courtney
references, things like interior fire sprinkler systems, not to mention
meeting earthquake standards, etc., are required for new *home* (not
just commercial) construction, all of which add to costs.  Yet, the
Powers That Be have decided that the benefits are well worth the
increased costs.  Why has our community not made a similar decision with
respect to wise water use and conservation?  Is there a prohibition
against this at the state level?

Also, what about property tax credits for installing gray watering
systems, and, while I'm at it, are there state income tax credits for
retrofitting existing homes with gray watering systems?  If not, why
not?  It's my understanding that there are energy tax credits for things
like new roofs, furnaces, windows, etc?  Encouraging water conservation
at the household level seems to me to be just important.

Please, no slams, though, for not having done homework to be able to
answer my own questions!  Since water seems to be a . . . less touchy
topic than some others on this list, perhaps that wouldn't happen, but
it *really* is tiresome & discouraging to read the insults (rather
answers) thrown around when someone asks what seem to me, at least, to
be reasonable questions on any topic.

Just some thoughts during this HOT time of year!

TIA,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, Idaho

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to
do nothing.
Edmund Burke