[Vision2020] Church and State

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 05:56:51 -0700

It seems to me that if bibles are allowed in public schools, people are like
to interpret that to mean that the state is endorsing one religion over
another.  On the other side of the coin, if bibles were barred from public
schools, other people are  likely to interpret that to mean that public
school students are not permitted to practice their religion.

-----Original Message-----
From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com]On
Behalf Of Benjamin Nieuwsma
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 10:03 PM
To: Vision2020
Subject: [Vision2020] Church and State

Greetings;

On a slightly different (and hopefully nicer) topic, I am wondering if
anyone could explain to me how our current understanding of separation of
church and state is supported by the constitution, because it really doesn't
seem to be. In exemplum, I don't think that the argument against having
Bibles in public schools because that breaches the first ammendment holds
any water whatsoever. Perhaps I'm mistaken. If so, please explain...

Thanks and have a great evening!

Benjamin