[Vision2020] Government killing, etc.

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:06:03 -0700

Joshua,

Once again, the logic of the right wing is broken for a multitude of
reasons:

Quiet ironic how you don't trust the government with your mail or schools
but you trust them with your life?

You write:

"ignoring of course those that have corrupt officials since that eliminates
the possibility of true justice"

Are you telling me the US Government is not Corrupt? Or are you telling me
that it is OK to run people through a corrupt government that has the
potential consequence of death? I can't see a "yes" to either one without
you undermining your entire argument with this statement.

You fail to address  my major points of society being responsible for not
producing murderers. This is not Christian to ignore the duties of
preventing children from growing up to be violent and in poverty. It is
cheaper to kill them when they get out of line than to fix them. This way we
get to live in lives away from the crime.

Second, you misstate the facts.

"God is merciful, but requires justice to be done. The death penalty is part
of our protection. Every society (ignoring of course those that have corrupt
officials since that eliminates the possibility of true justice) that has a
consistently applied death penalty always has lower crime and safer
streets."

This is totally false. The nations that have abolished the Death Penalty
have lower rates of Murder than those that do have the Death Penalty.
Canada, Britain, Australia, France, Germany, and Italy don't have the Death
Penalty. Yet they have much lower rates of murder. Likewise, California,
Texas, and Virginia, have the highest number of murders per capita and have
the Death Penalty. While states like Hew Hampshire and Vermont have no death
penalty and lower per capita rates of murder.
Your Death Penalty does no good amongst people that want to die and could
care less if you end their miserable life. "Murder-suicide" and "Death by
Cop" are common. I think that life in prison would be more of a deterrent
than Death.

You also confuse God with the State:

"But if unknowingly, there is probably no guilt for the judge and jury,
because they are to listen to the witnesses and make a decision. If their
decision was mislead because the witness was a lie, so be it. They did their
God-given duty."

Just where does it say that serving on a jury and finding someone "guilty"
is a "God-given duty"? I have never seen this written in the Bible or any
other religious document whose author claims the credentials of God
almighty.  I suppose you think God gave us the "Right to bare arms" as well?

Don't you also find it extremely odd that God would give us the right to
judge who will live and who will die without giving us the most important
ingredient of infallible judgment? I would tend to think that God would not
be so careless in the treatment of his people if he really loved them. So
why is God holding back on the information that would tell the jury if the
accused is innocent of guilty? Does he think it is funny to fry an innocent
man? Or does He not really care? Or perhaps He said "Thou shall not Judge"
and actually really meant what he said.

You also write:

"And if by rare chance (and it is very very rare) a man is killed who was
truly innocent of the crime, then those who sentenced him, if they did it
knowingly, will be punished."

You mean to say it is OK to pick off one or two innocent people to make sure
we get the real bad guys? Should our motto of Justice be "Kill and you
absolutely will be killed, don't kill and you will might be killed anyway"?

I really think you are living in a fantasy world to think that it is OK to
kill people in our messed up legal system and focuses on money rather than
actual guilt or innocence. God didn't give humans the right to judge, only
the right to love and forgive. Let us focus on this instead of covering the
symptoms of hate with more hate and death.

Donovan J Arnold