[Vision2020] Tax Codes

Gregory Dickison gdickison@moscow.com
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 05:59:54 -0700

Dear Visionaries:

Bill says that I "implied" that he was wrong about his understanding of the
tax situation. I did not imply it, I said it out loud. Bill then says that
it "seems" that I was denying that NSA took advantage of a property tax
exemption. I was doing no such thing. False assumptions are what started
this thread in the first place. How it is that the writer's clear statements
turn into implications and the reader's or observer's unfounded assumptions
turn into hard facts is beyond me.

But since Bill actually did the investigation I invited him to do, I will
expand on what was wrong with his letter to the editor.

Bill said, "When educational and religious organizations purchase property
and remove that property from the tax rolls, the other taxpayers have to pay
more to maintain governmental services." NSA did not remove any property
from the tax roles. Before NSA bought the building, it was owned by
Verizon/GTE, which paid no property taxes. NSA has simply substituted one
form of tax exemption for another, keeping the status quo. If anything, NSA
has increased the amount of property taxes being paid, lessening the burden
on the other taxpayers. I would think this would be happy news.

Bill said, "In exchange, those educational and religious organizations are
assumed to be doing good works that benefit the community." He then says in
his recent post, "Now, I am starting to wonder what else we are getting for
this generous property tax exemption...." Tax exemptions of whatever kind
are granted to certain organizations because their missions are inherently
beneficial to the community. The organizations are not required to submit an
additional check list of "good works" that they will do to justify  the
exemption. But even if I were to grant Bill's point, NSA meets the test in
at least two ways: providing restrooms to the Farmers' Market, and providing
Diversity in Educational Choice.

Now, I do agree that NSA (and Christ Church, and anyone else with a
Christian mission) has an obligation to do good works and to benefit Moscow.
But that is because they are part of the body of Christ, and not because of
some crass financial quid pro quo with the civil government.

Cheers,

Gregory C. Dickison
Lawyer & Counselor at Law
Post Office Box 8846