[Vision2020] Government killing, etc.

Ralph Nielsen nielsen@uidaho.edu
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:07:26 -0700

> From: "Luke" <lukenieuwsma@softhome.net>
> Date: Tue Jul 22, 2003  4:51:24 PM US/Pacific
> To: "Ted Moffett" <ted_moffett@hotmail.com>
> Cc: "vision2020" <vision2020@moscow.com>
> Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Religious Diversity Education
>

> I do believe in the death penalty, and I don't dodge the fact that
> there is
> controversy over this topic throughout our nation. But the death
> penalty is
> a side issue; we would not need it if the ten commandments were
> followed
> from the beginning. It is not the law of God that leads to confusion;
> it is
> man's sinfulness, and in many cases his refusal to follow God's law
> that
> bring about the controversies.
> (To briefly address the issue, OT law lays clear principles that Christ
> upheld in His ministry, and though not all OT laws carry through today,
> those principles behind them still do. And one of them is that if you
> take
> something unlawfully, the same will be required of you. And if I
> killed your
> wife, or your mother, you would very quickly become a proponent of the
> D penalty, regardless of prior beliefs.)
>
>     I will agree that man by himself cannot obey God's law. That's why
> He
> sends the saints the Holy Spirit. There still is debate and argument,
> but a
> disagreement over the death penalty is not going to put you in hell.
> Denying
> it does not amount to heresy; you can believe the basic
> gospel and still be wrong about a side issue. I know that there are
> many
> areas of secondary doctrine that I don't fully understand, but the
> basic
> gospel is clear, and so are the 10 commandments. Don't get flustered
> over
> the death penalty; rather, simply don't murder.
>
>     To boil down the rest of your arguments, it seems quite clear that
> you
> are an empiricist, and you don't believe in anything that you cannot
> prove
> under the microscope. That doesn't sound very tolerant to me, Mr.
> Moffet.
>     There are many things which we know exist that you cannot get a
> scientific handle on. Life, for one. When an organism is alive, there
> is
> energy intake and energy output, but when it dies, for some reason all
> that
> stops. Why? What is it that keeps you alive? Science cannot answer that
> question.
>     Where does love come from? You cannot chemically analyze kindness;
> you
> cannot dissect rudeness and attribute it to certain nerves in your
> body. Or
> [...]
	RALPH NIELSEN
	It is obvious that Luke Nieuwsma doesn't care how many innocent people
are killed by governments in the name of capital punishment. He just
loves to kill. Civilized countries gave up state killing many years
ago. Even the Catholic Church now opposes it, after many centuries of
enthusiastically endorsing it.
	As for Luke's imagined "solid foundation, God's word," would he please
tell us where his God has provided the world with a definition of
exactly what constitutes the so-called Holy Bible?
	As for the so-called Ten Commandments, I will give Luke or anyone else
a $1,000 reward for showing us an official numbered list in the Bible
of these alleged commandments.