[Vision2020] Our troops and theirs

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 01:53:52 EDT

--part1_1e.15ca1624.2c4b8870_boundary

Dear Visionaries,
It is peculiar to find myself in the role of peacemaker on Vision 20/20 when
I am rarely in that position.  But, I am very disturbed to see the thread
"save a dying soldier" grow more and more acrimonious, especially when I suspect
at the heart of the matter we are not very far apart. It is unimaginable to me
that Don and Tom, neither of whom could accurately be called shrinking
violets, would ever have allowed men and women under their command to be gratuitously
abused. Their commitment to serve this country should be honored.  It is also
fair to say, as Tom has pointed out, that when people enter the military they
do take an oath to serve, even if they don't always anticipate the extent of
that freely given oath.
As a pacifist, I am opposed to all war.  I never compromised on that position
during my husband's entire Marine Corps service - he was in for the first 15
years of our marriage. I have to say, I never met a Marine who was
disrespectful of my position, or indeed seemed eager to go back to a combat situation.
But when they were sent, they went, did the best they could for their troops,
under conditions often far more severe than those we are currently concerned
about.  Nonetheless, it is not about the guts and glory.
For those concerned about our current troop deployment around the world I
urge you to take a strong political position.  Do not vote for, and do not
support candidates that offer war, or armed intervention as a solution for world
problems. For a more immediate, and in my opinion a more constructive approach
than insulting former servicemen, I suggest a direct involvement with raising
money and supplies for the people of Iraq and Afghanistan.  I favor working and
raising money for the Friends International Service Committee. <
http://www.afsc.org/> They have people on the ground in both countries; they refuse to take
sides in the conflict, serving all who come to them and all whom they can
reach.  Your money and supplies will not be misused.  AFSC supplies bedding,
clothing, medicine, help with schools and infrastructure needs - and best of all,
they know no enemies.  Currently in Moscow, my daughter is coordinating a
project called "Afghans for Afghanis."  Volunteers crochet or knit Afghans,
mittens, caps, and other items to be distributed (for free) to Afghan nationals.  The
"need" for any one to die, American or Iraqi would vanish, if the people felt
they were being helped to rebuild their country, not being occupied by an
armed force.
Everyone, despite cultural or religious differences wants to be able to feed
and educate their children, care for their elderly, treat their sick, and have
gainful employment.  While it may not be a possible to persuade our current
political regime of these truths, we can each make a difference in how we
respond to this abominable war.  Donovan, take some of your youthful energy and
organizing ability to your friends and family, and do something positive to help.
 You'll feel better, and best of all, somewhere 10,000 miles from here you
might actually save a life.
Best,
Rose Huskey

--part1_1e.15ca1624.2c4b8870_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Dear Visionaries,<BR>
It is peculiar to find myself in the role of peacemaker on Vision 20/20 when=
 I am rarely in that position.&nbsp; But, I am very disturbed to see the thr=
ead "save a dying soldier" grow more and more acrimonious, especially when I=
 suspect at the heart of the matter we are not very far apart. It is unimagi=
nable to me that Don and Tom, neither of whom could accurately be called shr=
inking violets, would ever have allowed men and women under their command to=
 be gratuitously abused. Their commitment to serve this country should be ho=
nored.&nbsp; It is also fair to say, as Tom has pointed out, that when peopl=
e enter the military they do take an oath to serve, even if they don't alway=
s anticipate the extent of that freely given oath.&nbsp; <BR>
As a pacifist, I am opposed to all war.&nbsp; I never compromised on that po=
sition during my husband's entire Marine Corps service - he was in for the f=
irst 15 years of our marriage. I have to say, I never met a Marine who was d=
isrespectful of my position, or indeed seemed eager to go back to a combat s=
ituation.&nbsp; But when they were sent, they went, did the best they could=20=
for their troops, under conditions often far more severe than those we are c=
urrently concerned about.&nbsp; Nonetheless, it is not about the guts and gl=
ory.&nbsp; <BR>
For those concerned about our current troop deployment around the world I ur=
ge you to take a strong political position.&nbsp; Do not vote for, and do no=
t support candidates that offer war, or armed intervention as a solution for=
 world problems. For a more immediate, and in my opinion a more constructive=
 approach than insulting former servicemen, I suggest a direct involvement w=
ith raising money and supplies for the people of Iraq and Afghanistan.&nbsp;=
 I favor working and raising money for the Friends International Service Com=
mittee. &lt;http://www.afsc.org/&gt; They have people on the ground in both=20=
countries; they refuse to take sides in the conflict, serving all who come t=
o them and all whom they can reach.&nbsp; Your money and supplies will not b=
e misused.&nbsp; AFSC supplies bedding, clothing, medicine, help with school=
s and infrastructure needs - and best of all, they know no enemies.&nbsp; Cu=
rrently in Moscow, my daughter is coordinating a project called "Afghans for=
 Afghanis."&nbsp; Volunteers crochet or knit Afghans, mittens, caps, and oth=
er items to be distributed (for free) to Afghan nationals.&nbsp; The "need"=20=
for any one to die, American or Iraqi would vanish, if the people felt they=20=
were being helped to rebuild their country, not being occupied by an armed f=
orce.&nbsp; <BR>
Everyone, despite cultural or religious differences wants to be able to feed=
 and educate their children, care for their elderly, treat their sick, and h=
ave gainful employment.&nbsp; While it may not be a possible to persuade our=
 current political regime of these truths, we can each make a difference in=20=
how we respond to this abominable war.&nbsp; Donovan, take some of your yout=
hful energy and organizing ability to your friends and family, and do someth=
ing positive to help.&nbsp; You'll feel better, and best of all, somewhere 1=
0,000 miles from here you might actually save a life. <BR>
Best,<BR>
Rose Huskey</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1e.15ca1624.2c4b8870_boundary--