[Vision2020] Please Help our dying troops!

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:48:19 -0700

Mr. Hansen,

I would gladly be lacking in maturity than to being a self-righteous cold
hearted fool.  I would gladly take a battle injury in return for the years
that I lost with my father. But you didn't get your injuries in battle did
you? No, so don't play that card with me. I strongly support our troops, you
don't. You want them to be picked off one by one like a bunch cattle in a
shooting range and not complain about it.

Your write:
"You expect me to side with you simply because your father apparently had
less maturity than you"

Insulting my father will get you no place you want to go with me. My father
was a true patriot. He respects the men and women in uniform and they
respected him. He has saved many lives in action. He designed the
electronics for the Tomahawk cruise missile. Ever here of that?
As far as being immature, he was mature enough to rise out of poverty and do
something with his life. And he was mature enough not to allow the men under
his command to be injured. He went to great lengths to avoid that from
happening. I wish your commanders would have done the same thing so you
would not have been injured. It is sad and unfortunate.

And yes I have written men in uniform before, my father one, and my brother
the other.

Yes, I have been to many military bases all across this country. I even
lived on them, for many years. I was yanked from one place to another, back
and forth, up and down, all across the country. I went to  eleven different
schools between preschool-12th grades, that I can remember, maybe more.

"I know of several veterans whose children never got any closer to them than
rubbing their fingers over a name on a wall in Washington DC."

As do I. I have been there.  And that is what I am trying to fight, why
don't you? I was lucky, I got to know my Dad later on and I know that. You
want to add to that list? Why? Why not fight it Mr. Hansen? Why not fight
battle field injuries? Do you feel that it is necessary to have this
continue? What did we gain being in Vietnam and Iraq? Is it even close to
the cost of killing and wounding our men and women in uniform?

"According to your last posting, it reflects more bravery to write letters
than it does to put on the uniform for 20 years

Nope, not at all, but it is the very least people can do to help out the men
and women in uniform.
It is not patriotic to allow our boys and girls to die senselessly in battle
over non-existent weapons of mass destruction. Our military is not suppose
to be used as green plastic army men for the pleasure of Bush to promote and
steal oil from an impoverish and suppressed people on the other side of the
planet.

The beltway sniper wore a uniform. The men at West Point that tortured and
raped women wore a uniform. Countless men in jail for theft, rape, and
murder fill our prisons. Are they patriots? I don't think so. A friend of
mines children were molested by a sergeant in the military, was he a
patriot? He was injured in battle in Vietnam too. I still don't qualify him
as a patriot either.

Just now on the news as I write this, another man was killed, next to a
bank, another 4 wounded in the attack. That brings the number to 149 since
the war was declared over. I ask you Mr. Hansen at what point will you write
a letter and say something? 150 troops, 200? 300? 1000? 5,000?

I appreciate you service Mr. Hansen. But that is no excuse to alienate our
troops when they need you now. I really have a hard understanding why that
is so difficult for you?

Donovan J Arnold