[Vision2020] Boehner-Davis School Choice Bill Passes Hurdle

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:40:54 -0700

On 11 July, Chairman Tom Davis successfully passed his H.R. 2556--the D.C.
Parental Choice Incentive Act of 2003 -- through the Government Reform and
Oversight Committee.

John Boehner (R-OH), a co-author of the bill and Chairman of the U.S. House
Committee on Education and the Workforce, praised the passage: "I believe
that the competition that this bill will create within the D.C. school
system will improve the educational options for all students," Boehner said.

The bill would enable residents of the District of Columbia whose family
income is less than 185 percent of the poverty level to use vouchers of up
to $7,500 to attend their school of choice. Fifteen Million Dollars in
scholarships would be distributed through approved non-profit groups.

The school choice program has been enthusiastically embraced by Washington
D.C.'s Democrat Mayor, Anthony Williams: "I fully and strongly support
[President Bush's] initiative to bring scholarships to this city." He argued
that the government schools will end up in better shape because of the
competition that is brought to bear.

Best,
Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho