[Vision2020] Presidential Elections

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:18:37 -0700

Tom:

Here are some of the other thoughts you solicited.

I agree with Doug on choice in U.S. presidential elections.  From my
perspective, the "choices" offered to me by the two party system in the
U.S. have been no choice at all.

I am 59 years old, and was born while FDR was still president.  I began
voting at the age of 21, and I have never missed exercising my
franchise.  I have never voted FOR anyone for president that I thought
reflected my view of what America ought to be, and have rather felt
compelled to vote AGAINST what I saw as the worst of two evils.

John Nance Garner, FDR's second vice-president, once said, "There's not
a nickel's worth of difference between the Republicans and the
Democrats", and in many respects he was right.

It has almost come to the point where if a politician indicates
interest in being president, he should not be allowed to run.  The
political whoring and compromising to raise the money to run, and to
obtain his party's nomination, and then to win the election  brings
someone into the Oval Office that has already given up any pretense of
doing what is for the short-term or long-term good of the country for
the more practical goals of paying off his political debts and getting
reelected to a second term.

Now that Republicans also spend money like drunken sailors, there is
precious little difference that I can see between them and the party
that pretends to be concerned about poor people, but whose party
apparat is full of rich ones that look on the nation's poor as a "safe"
voting bloc, and an underclass best amused with bread and circuses.
It's pretty much a wash.  There is something critically wrong with a
system which fails to attract the best and brightest of us to public
service---and there are bright, dedicated, hard-headed, qualified,
citizens out there---and instead presents us with either minor league
lawyers or the the scions of political dynasties like Al Gore and
George W. Bush as our choices for the highest office in the land.  Our
founders fought a revolution to get shet of a hereditary aristocracy,
and they must be turning over in their graves.

If I didn't have abiding faith in the ordinary, decent, people of this
country, and if I didn't truly believe in what this country should
stand for, rather than what it is, I would be in despair.

Regards,

Don Kaag