[Vision2020] Revisionist history

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:45:00 +0000

Jim et. al.

The decision to invade and occupy Iraq was already planned before W. took
office, as the Project For A New American century clearly spelled out, with
signatories to PNAC now prominent in the Bush administration.

http://www.newamericancentury.org/

I think Bush really believes his decision making is moral and reasonable.
And that he is plainly not very good at complicated analysis of political or
economic issues.  I believe he's a front man being led around by prominent
PNAC strategists and Pentagon insiders, among them Cheney, Rumsfeld,
Wolfowitz, Perle and others.  I have heard the opinion that he exhibits the
symptoms of dry drunk syndrome.  Thus the errors of fact and speech that he
often exhibits.

But some take a more cynical view that he is privately laughing his head off
at how far he is putting us on with his straight talking, man of action,
tough guy, let's keep it simple, anti-intellectual, Texas Bible believe'n
redneck pose.  That he in fact knows that he is often spouting BS, but Carl
Rove and the Republican strategists advise Bush to speak as he does for
effect.  There is a strong anti-intellectual bias in much of America, and
Bush's malapropisms and misstatements of fact just enforce the impression
he's no slick talking sneaky intellectual like Clinton.  He may get things
mixed up every so often, but he speaks his mind plainly, believes in sound
moral values, acts decisively, just like a regular cowboy, and so forth.

The basis for controlling public opinion to justify the Iraq war was
emotional in nature, and had little to do with fact and logic.  Fear of
terrorism was used and exploited and encouraged by W. Bush to whip the
American public into acceptance of the Iraq war.  After all, that "mushroom
cloud" image Bush used before the Iraq war to exploit the fears of the
American people, based on lies that Iraq had a legitimate nuclear threat,
worked like magic to legitimize the invasion.

All this current hubbub about the intelligence problems and errors of fact
that came from the Bush administration in justifying the Iraq war I find
bizarre, considering that all of this was clearly known before we invaded
Iraq!  If this is the best that our media and press and political system can
do to expose misinformation and out right lies used to exploit public
opinion to manipulate acquiescence to war, we are in deep s**t!

I predict Bush will win re-election.

Ted