[Vision2020] Precedent for Internment

Tom Trail ttrail@moscow.com
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:16:46 -0800

Visionaries:  I read with interest a short article in the June 2003 Asian
American Comparative Collection Newsletter.   The article was entitled,
Precedent for Internment?

During the Great Depression the U.S. government eacted the
repatriation Program as an "austerity measure."  Directed against
Mexicans in the U.S. especially Detroit, over one million people were
deported to Mexico; 60% were American citizens (is this sounding
familiar?)

Their descendants have researched this shameful, little-known episode
and have produced "Los Repatriados:  Exiles from the Promisted Land,"
a project consisting of oral histories and a video, the latter based
on immigration documents, congressional records, and newspaper
articles, and on scholarly accounts by Dennis Valdes, Zaragosa,
Vargas and others.  For more information contact Elena Herrada
(emhgv@juno.com)

I was frankly amazed at this little known episode of American History, and it
can only make one wonder if we're headed down the same road again.

Tom Trail
--
Dr. Tom Trail
International Trails