[Vision2020] Religious Diversity Education

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:11:39 +0000

Luke et. al.

Luke wrote:

>     I don't think you've quite got it here. Part of logic is negation, and
>double negation. That does not make logic false, or language false. If I
>say, "This is black and not black," the statement negates and cancels
>itself, but it in no way ruins grammar and reason.
>     So when your basic belief is a self-contradiction, it is completely
>false, yet without making all truth false. It simply makes your tenet
>false.
>If a tent collapses on itself, it doesn't knock over all the tents near it.

You are too easily brushing aside very serious problems with language and
logic.
The history of modern logic demonstrates in fact that the tools of ordinary
language were found to be lacking in their capacity to express logical
propositions precisely and without unintended contradictions.  Study the
theory of types developed by Bertrand Russell, which is an attempt to avoid
certain kinds of self referential contradictions in logic.  The example you
gave, "black and not black," is not the kind of self referential statement
in question here.  This web site provides background and explanations:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/russell-paradox/

Luke wrote:

>     Neither. "Significant mistakes" would, I think, refer to something
>heretical. But God's logic is so perfect and His truths so clear that even
>my 2-cylinder brain can grasp the basic truths. My surety does not come
>from
>my logic, but from God's.

You are not answering the questions posed in this dilemma.  If your thinking
is flawed and limited, how can you be certain you understand God's truths
correctly?  How do you know you are not deceiving yourself or making a
significant mistake?  How do you get outside the limitations of a flawed
limited human mind to this perfect logic of God?  I have never heard an
answer to this problem that solves the dilemma.  You can argue from direct
inspiration from God or from revelation to a document, such as the Bible,
but still you cannot escape the fact that the filtering and interpretation
of the information is through a flawed limited mistake prone human mind.

I think it is clear that there is reasonable doubt about these spiritual
issues, and people of faith believe what they do based on faith.  But then
this position of religious belief leads us to the view I am advocating, a
respect for other religions based on a humble realization that the
intentions and thoughts of God may not conform just to one religions
interpretations.

Ted