[Vision2020] Heaven and hell?

Ralph Nielsen nielsen@uidaho.edu
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:21:29 -0700

On Tuesday, July 1, 2003, at 10:39 PM, Luke wrote:

>     Actually, don't bother. You won't convince me, and I won't
> convince you.
> I am sure of my belief in the Bible's authenticity beyond all doubt,
> and you
> are steadfastly sure of its errors. I had to post one reply to what you
> wrote, sir; however, I am not going to perpetuate another endless
> debate at
> the moment.
> Sincerely and respectfully,
>
> Luke Nieuwsma

RALPH NIELSEN
Poor Luke, a victim of fundamentalist propaganda. I hope he eventually
grows up and thinks for himself.  He imagines that I am attacking what
the Bible says. He couldn't be more wrong. I said that there is no life
after death in the Hebrew religion, i.e., the pre-Exilic religion of
the Hebrew people as we have it in the Bible. But Luke doesn't believe
the Bible.

I will have other things to do in the next few days, so I will just
leave my reading public with a few references to show that I am not
spouting off some half-baked opinions of my own, as Luke seems to
suggest, but am presenting biblical facts recognized by established
scholars, both Jewish and Christian.

	"Much later, biblical religion postulated that the ultimate destiny of
the individual does not end with death. There is not a hint of this
suggestion in the Torah [the first 5 books of the Bible. RN], however,
or in most of the Bible. There, human death is final. Whatever ideal
state an individual Israelite can hope to achieve is restricted to
one's lifetime and is conditional on heeding God's commands; material
prosperity, good health, length of days, self-determination, posterity,
and peace (Deuteronomy 28:1-14). With the possible exception of Elijah
and Enoch, all biblical personalities die and their death is final."
(Etz Hayim, Torah and Commentary. The Rabbinical Assembly, The United
Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Produced by the Jewish Publication
Society, c2001). Article on Eschatology, p. 1436.

	 "Life after death. It is generally held by scholars that no hope of
individual survival after death is expressed in the Old Testament
before some of its latest passages, which were probably written in the
2d century BC." (The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, edited by Raymond
E. Brown [et al.]. Prentice Hall, c1990).  Article on Eschatology and
the Afterlife, p. 1313.

	"In the preexilic period, there was no notion of a judgment of the
dead based on their actions during life, nor is there any evidence for
a belief that the righteous dead go to live in God's presence. The two
persons in the Hebrew Bible who are taken to heaven to live with God,
Enoch (Gen. 5:24) and Elijah (2 Kings 2:11), do not die. All who die,
righteous or wicked, go to Sheol (see Gen. 42:38; Num. 16:30-33)." (The
Oxford Companion to the Bible. Edited by Bruce M. Metzger, Michael D.
Coogan. Oxford University Press, c1993). Article on Afterlife and
Immortality, p. 15.

I have no doubt that young Luke Nieuwsma is sincere in his ignorance
but I have no respect for the shysters and scoundrels, both religious
and political, who mislead people like him. Our best defense against
them is a good biblical education.

As a retired librarian, I would recommend the books mentioned above, as
well as Remedial Christianity; What Every Believer Should Know about
the Faith, but Probably Doesn't, by Paul Alan Laughlin. Polebridge
Press, c2000. Your local bookstore will be glad to order them for you.

Ralph Nielsen