[Vision2020] Racism

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:15:26 -0700

Dear visionaries,

In our discussions, we have to beware of racism inflation. In contemporary
public discourse, such charges are too readily leveled as the all-purpose
trump card. Why don't we agree to reserve it for those who believe and
affirm that one race is (racially) superior to another? With this more
precise definition, it would even be possible for the sin of racial
animosity to occur without the (distinct) sin of racism. The world is a
complicated place, and not made out of cardboard. For example, is it
possible to acknowledge the existence of malicious egalitarians and
benevolent racists?

Too often, racism is a charge that folks (who don't believe in morality)
use to help themselves feel morally superior. It has become sort of the
ultimate sin -- for those who don't believe in sin.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson