[Vision2020] MSD Pay and Tenure--a reply

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 05:38:23 -0700

Mr. Courtney -

I did not state that you needed a degree to retire from the service as an
officer.  I said:

"24 years (bare minimum to have retired from the service as an officer,
allowing for the minimum of 4 years to get your degree so that you can ENTER
the service as an officer)"

You even quoted it correctly.  The bottom line, Mr. Courtney, is that you
are required to have graduated from college with a degree before you ENTER
the service as a commissioned officer.  This has now been mentioned to you
three times (plus once where you quoted me).

Assuming that you did not attend college while you were attending high
school and allowing for dual concurrent assignments as a submariner and
instructor, (something which is extremely doubtful), this makes you 42.

Then comes the 7 years at the Silicon Valley.  You claim that at the time
you were working inland in the Silicon Valley in California, you were also
on active duty as a submariner.  Come on, Mr. Courtney, I wasn't born
yesterday.

I am 50 years old, retired from the Army, and have friends that retired from
the Navy (a couple were submariners).  Didn't you think that I would conduct
a little research before I made any accusations?

Take care,

Tom Hansen
SFC, US Army (Retired)
UI '96