[Vision2020] MSD Pay and Tenure--a reply

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:22:52 +0000

John, Donovan, Dale:

Lest I be misunderstood, I think both Dale and Donovan were not willing to
bend a bit at times to allow for a reasonable give and take in their debate.

But I agree for the most part with what Donovan was saying.

And Dale has yet to provide answers to the two important questions Donovan
asked, even after Donovan pointed out that he has and will acknowledge that
MSD has inefficiencies that cost $.

I think public education is an appropriate use of tax revenue that provides
important programs and services, that private schools do not offer, that
plays a critical role in our society.

And for Dale to claim the educational system will be improved with
competition from private schools, he must site private schools that offer
all the programs and services that MSD does, so that competition in all
these areas actually occurs, and that the comparison is between schools that
are similar. When Dale refuses to site one private school that offers all
the programs and services that MSD does, and does it for less, he has not
shown that private schools really are competitive when looking at the big
picture.  Dale is just comparing an efficient gas/electric hybrid (a private
school) to an SUV (a pubic school), and saying, look at how efficient the
gas/electric hybrid is!  That SUV is a waste of money!  But how many kids
can the SUV carry compared to the gas/electric?  And can the gas/electric
hybrid carry a wheel chair lift for the handicapped student?  And so on...

Dale, we are waiting for your answers to Donovan's questions.

Ted