[Vision2020] Free Speech and Crazy Bush

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:10:06 +0000

Mr. Kaag, et. al.

The "pacifist pets," to quote one of your choice phrases from an earlier
vision2020 post that speaks volumes about your mindset, who are against the
current push for war against Iraq, are very much concerned about the
thousands of civilian deaths and injuries to men, women and children, that
will certainly occur if we apply "maximum force consistent with the mission
and its goals, and with the fewest possible U.S. casualties," to quote your
wishes for how the war should proceed.

So do you include thousands of civilians, including women and children, when
you quote Patton about the "poor, dumb, S.O.B." who will die for his
country?  Perhaps you are being ironic when you refer to this quote as a
"lovely sentiment."  I surely hope so!

Regardless, the fact the you could present your opinions on this subject
only in terms of saving American lives, with no mention of the horrors that
will be unleashed on civilians in Iraq, is an example of the American
arrogance that earns the U.S the enmity of people around the world, when we
use our overwhelming military power against weak defenseless nations, which
certainly describes Iraq at this time.

Debating about whether this will be a "war" or a "massacre" from the lofty
realms of military science is absurd and callous.  It will certainly be a
"massacre."  This is the issue that must be soberly considered before
justifying this "war."

I hope when you teach your students at Moscow High you present more
compassion and balance in your attitudes towards the human family which must
eventually live together on this planet in peace.  It is either peace, or we
will likely destroy ourselves or create a world of militarized armed camp
against armed camp misery, etc.  We are clearly on our way to one of the
later outcomes!

No, I am not ignorant of the necessity for the use of military force, so
don't trot out your proud militaristic lecture about the rough men who are
keeping America free so that "pacifist pets" such as myself can speak their
mind.  But I am very realistically aware of what will eventually happen to
the human race if we cannot give up the habit of war.

Are you?

Ted