[Vision2020] Patriot Act

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:25:20 +0000

Carl et. al.

The "Patriot Act" that was passed law into is a serious attack on civil
rights.  However, there is an extension of the Patriot Act that is being
considered that is even more egregious in its erosion of civil rights.  A
draft of this extension of the original "Patriot Act" has been leaked and is
raising eyebrows!

I recently posted on vision2020 some info regarding a Bill Moyer's special
"NOW" presentation that was recently on PBS, along with, if I recall
correctly, a link or two to more info about this.  The post had
"Trustthepeople-Seattle" in the subject heading because I got some of the
info off the e-mail group I subscribe to of that same name.  There was not a
single vision2020 response to this post that I recall.

I think the erosion of civil rights here in the USA under the justification
of fighting the war on terrorism is just what the terrorists want.  They
want to see us living in fear and giving up the freedoms America stands for.
  If we give up our civil rights to fight the war on terrorism we have
already lost the war.

Of course security issues like improved airline safety, checking
international shipping cartons, monitoring immigration or purchases of
dangerous chemicals, etc. etc. all make sense.  Even allowing more access to
private communications can perhaps be justified to gain intelligence.  But
when we remove the guarantees to legal council for detainees and review of
detainment by a judge, legalize endless detainment, allow detainment in
secret at undisclosed locations, allow searches of private residences with
no court supervision, and then extend some of these erosions of civil rights
to US citizens... need I go on?

I could say a lot more about this, but you get my drift, I think.

Ted

"Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither."

Benjamin Franklin