[Vision2020] Patriot Act

Brad Neuman bradneuman@moscow.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:18:35 -0800

I think the quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin says it best, "They that
can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety."

According to Bartlett this sentence was much used in the Revolutionary
period. It occurs even so early as November, 1755, in an answer by the
Assembly of Pennsylvania to the Governor, and forms the motto of Franklin’s
“Historical Review,” 1759, appearing also in the body of the
work.—Frothingham: Rise of the Republic of the United States, p. 413.

It is just as relevant today.

Brad Neuman

-----Original Message-----
From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com] On
Behalf Of Carl Westberg
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 7:21 AM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: [Vision2020] Patriot Act

Last night, Jim Lehrer's Newshour featured a segment on the Patriot Act,
with a balanced presentation of all sides of the issue.  On a grassroots
level, I wonder how the residents of our small northwest town feel about it.

  A slippery slope to complete erosion of our civil rights?  Or a necessary
inconvenience in an extraordinary post 9/11 world?  Somewhere in between?

                                                           Carl Westberg Jr.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com