[Vision2020] book banning

Mark Rounds ltrwritr@moscow.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:06:32 -0800 (PST)

When folks get wrapped tightly one way or the other, they want to rub out
anything that might help the adversary.  In the case of the classics you
mentioned, the subject matter was "racy" by the standards of the day or
often, as  in Samuel Clemens case, they objected to alot of his stuff on the
grounds that he poked fun at the status quo.  They used other reasons but he
was in the habit of twiting politicians he didn't like with heavy doses of
satire and was quite good at it.

Librarians have to make a lot of decisions on what should be on the shelves
due to budget restaints, local laws, their own opinions as to what is good
literature etc....   They have to as book buying budgets for Libraries are
not high on anyones appropriations list.  But I know more than a few
Librarians (book junkies like me find them great company) and while they
come in all colors of the polical rainbow from staunchly conservative to
heart rendingly liberal, they all have a reverence for the printed word and
rarely condon removal of books from the reading list.

Mark Rounds