[Vision2020] Affirmative Action

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:33:09 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C2D866.E12F1C20

Mark's questions:

"1.  Why are the schools in rich white neighborhood so much better than
they are in poor black/hispanic ..... neighborhoods?
2.  Why, when we are confronted with two good candidates for a job, do
we pick the one most like us?
3.  Just how much advantage does the "good ole boy" network give their
constituency?
4.  How pernicious is the glass ceiling in business for women?"

I like Mark's hard questions.  I think we all ought to ask them LOUDLY un=
til we come up with some honest answers.  I, too, think affirmative actio=
n is only half a solution, but that's because the problem (discrimination=
) is so complex and so intransigent.  Any effective remedy for racism/cla=
ssism/sexism/homophobia will disrupt systems of privilege, and when previ=
ously unacknowledged advantages are suddenly taken away, those of us who =
enjoyed them will feel robbed.

I'd also like to add a fifth question:

5.  Why are 78% of employable people with disabilities unable to find wor=
k?   =20

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
 Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn=
.com

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C2D866.E12F1C20

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Mark's questio=
ns:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>"1.&nbsp;&nbsp;Why are the schools in ri=
ch white neighborhood so much better than<BR>they are in poor black/hispa=
nic ..... neighborhoods?<BR>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;Why, when we are confronted wit=
h two good candidates for a job, do<BR>we pick the one most like us?<BR>3=
.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just how much advantage does the "good ole boy" network give=
 their<BR>constituency?<BR>4.&nbsp;&nbsp;How pernicious is the glass ceil=
ing in business for women?"<BR></DIV> <DIV>I like Mark's hard questions.&=
nbsp; I think we all ought to ask them LOUDLY until we come up with some =
honest answers.&nbsp; I, too, think affirmative action is only half a sol=
ution, but that's because the problem (discrimination) is so complex and =
so&nbsp;intransigent.&nbsp; Any&nbsp;effective remedy for&nbsp;racism/cla=
ssism/sexism/homophobia&nbsp;will disrupt&nbsp;systems&nbsp;of privilege,=
 and&nbsp;when previously unacknowledged advantages are suddenly taken aw=
ay, those of us who enjoyed them will feel robbed.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV=
> <DIV>I'd also like to add a fifth question:<BR><BR>5.&nbsp; Why are 78%=
 of employable people with disabilities unable to find work?&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;<BR></DIV> <DIV>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DI=
orer download : <a href=3D'http://explorer.msn.com'>http://explorer.msn.c=

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C2D866.E12F1C20--