[Vision2020] Affirmative Action

Mark Rounds ltrwritr@moscow.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:28:23 -0800 (PST)

Folks

I have been really good, not opening my mouth on a lot of these issues but I
have to make a few comments.  I think we have here, two intelligent people
who are arguing on the same side of an issue.

I don't think it is an issue at all that there is still discrimination in
this society.  I know Don agrees with that as he is a teacher in this school
district and has been defecated on by politicians on both sides of the isle.
I also think that all parties in this discussion would like to see a social
system in place that rewards merit and effort and not who you are and who
you know.

The problem comes down to whether affirmative action remedies these
problems.  In my humble opinion, it was a band aid politicians put on a
bunch of problems they didn't have the guts to solve.

Instead of asking some hard questions like:

1.      Why are the schools in rich white neighborhood so much better than
they are in poor black/hispanic ..... neighborhoods?

2.      Why, when we are confronted with two good candidates for a job, do
we pick the one most like us?

3.      Just how much advantage does the "good ole boy" network give their
constituancy?

4.      How pernicious is the glass ceiling in business for women?

Unfortunately, recognizing these problems and solving them take a lot of
work.  Instead, politicians came up with a solution that sounds good in a
sound byte and ran with it.  Does Colin Powell support it?  you bet.  Like
most military men who have been in command, he is a pragmatist and knows
that sometimes you need to swallow some things that are only half a solution
to get a job done.

Affirmative Action got the ball rolling, got people thinking about the race
question, and wondering about what they really were.  BUT, it is inherently
ineffcient as the best people for the job don't always get it.

When all things are said and done, I believe that Colin Powell would rather
be known as "Colin Powell, a damned good general and stateman" rather than
"Colin Powell, a damned good BLACK general and stateman".

Does this mean I am AGAINST Affirmative Action?  Not really, because we are
better off than we were before, when our society ignored whole populations
of people who fit under the bell curve just like we white folk and had their
bright ones and their lame ones that could have contributed.  At least now
they are in the applicant pool and being considered and utilized.

Does this mean I am HAPPY with Affirmative Action?  Absolutely not.  It is
ineffcient and causes reverse discrimination and a resultant backlash.
There is also the feeling that is generated in capable minority folks that
wonder if its their hard work, smarts and skills that get them where they
are or Affirmative Action.  This is why a lot of then speak out of both
sides of their mouth on this issue.  Yes it got things going but it cheapens
their accomplishments.

However, before you do away with it, I want to see what you intend to
replace it with and weigh that against the current status quo to see if
there is an improvement.

And I had been so good up till now ;-)

Mark Rounds