[Vision2020] Paper on the Teachers' Salary Grid

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:18:40 -0800

Ron Force wrote:
> On the other hand, the publication "School Finance,Trends and
> Issues" (ED459 541), U.S. Department of Education, 2001,
> states that: "Teacher salaries, comprising over 60 per cent
> of most school budgets, did not keep pace with inflation
> during the 1990's... Their salaries actually declined 1 per
> cent (in inflation adjusted dollars) between 1989 and 1996.
> Only recently are they regaining their 1990 level."
>
> Guess it's where you start the statistic keeping. Teachers
> did gain substantially in the 1980s.

Ron, this *is* a very interesting comment for the Department of Education to
make -- considering that the American Federation of Teachers union (AFL-CIO)
says the opposite.

I refer you to their site:
http://www.aft.org/research/survey99/figures/figureI-3.html

and

http://www.aft.org/research/survey99/figures/figureII-2.html

Funny that they can't get their stories straight!

Can you send me the URL from the Department of Education? Thx.

Best,
Dale