[Vision2020] Bombing hospitals

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:54:04 -0800

Ed:

During the initial air war, there are several methods of taking out
anti-aircraft sites located on or near hospitals and schools.
Air-dropped precision munitions set for "airburst" rather than
penetration are one.  Other bombs which contain multiple small
antipersonnel/anti-materiel bomblets are another.  Either are not
likely to penetrate the roofs of buildings strong enough to mount an
anti-aircraft battery.  Over-pressure might take out some windows.

In the medium-term attack, helicopter gunships like Army Apaches or
Marine Super Cobras could simply hose them off of the roofs with their
chin-mounted mini-chain guns: 7.62 ball or even armor-piercing ammo is
not going to penetrate a steel-reinforced poured concrete slab roof.

Once we are in Baghdad or Basra, another alternative is an infiltrated
Special Ops sniper team equipped with an optically-sighted Barrett
M82A1 .50 Cal., semi-automatic, sniper rifle (...known in the trade as
"The Finger of God".) Troops fired on by it find it very discouraging,
and it is very precise.

Regards,

Don Kaag