[Vision2020] Interesting Report by S&P on Michigan's Govt Schools

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:51:31 -0800

Dear visionaries,

When the debate over government education erupts again, and when everyone
rolls their eyes in that "here we go again fashion," the hidden assumption
is that the pro-private education sector is simply fulfilling Winston
Churchill's definition of a fanatic -- someone who can't change his mind,
and won't change the subject. Why do we have to keep talking about this?

Why can't we just go back to those halcyon days when those hundreds of
tax-paying parents of kids in private education just handed over the money
and kept their traps shut about it? Maybe the reason the debate continues
is because the unreasonable taxation continues. When you do the
"Rodney-King-can't-we-all-just-get-along-thing," your zeal for peace and
quiet does not extend so far as to let me keep the thousands of dollars
forcibly lifted from me in order to keep your schools running.

If I pay the six bucks, I get to see the movie, right? If I pay thousands
of dollars toward the government schools, what do I get? Does it include
the right to debate the question in an appropriate forum?

"Shut up, you Taliban-types! We are busy over here, using your money to
teach these kids the importance of democracy!"

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson