[Vision2020] Interesting Report by S&P on Michigan's Govt Schools

Dale Courtney dmcourtn@moscow.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 06:47:12 -0800

> "Ten qualities were offered as essential to successfully
> adapting to the rapidly changing world of work:
>
> 1) The ability to define problems *without a guide*.
> 2) The ability to ask hard questions which challenge
> prevailing assumptions.
> 3) The ability to work in teams *without guidance*.
> 4) The ability to work *absolutely alone*.
> 5) The ability to persuade others that your course is the right one.
> 6) The ability to discuss issues and techniques in public
> with an eye to reaching decisions about policy.
> 7) The ability to conceptualize and reorganize information
> into new patterns.
> 8) The ability to pull what you need quickly from masses of
> irrelevant data.
> 9) The ability to think inductively, deductively, and dialectically.
> 10) The ability to attack problems heuristically.
>
> How many of those you think are regularly taught in the
> government schools?"
>
> Thank you, Mr. Courtney.  Those ten guidelines seem to have
> defined about 90% of my junior year and senior year courses
> while attending the University of Idaho.

Ah, but how nice it would be if:
A) If you saw children in elementary school doing this.
B) You didn't have to wait until you were 45 years old and in college to be
taught them.
C) You didn't have to have the money to go to college to learn them.

Alas!

Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho