[Vision2020] City of Moscow Public Hearings

Greg Brown gregb@alaskapacific.edu
Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:08:08 -0900

--Boundary_(ID_etFxEmFmIOgKnGnOc25kIg)

Jon Kimberling wrote:

> Monday afternoon toward the end of the 4:00 PM meeting of the
> Administrative Committee of the City Council we will continue
> discussing possible changes to city procedures relative to public
> hearings. As was noted in a recent posting to vision2020, it is not
> illegal for the City to receive testimony from commission members.
> However, in the recent past, members of at least two different
> commissions were not allowed to testify before council. The Mayor
> decided not to change the process in the middle of a hearing. I
> personally support that decision.
>

> However, we now want to thoroughly review our procedures. I believe it
> will take some time to accomplish this. These are important decisions
> and should not be made hastily. Therefore, it is a perfect time to
> offer the Mayor and Council your comments.

   I would certainly encourage Moscow residents to
comment.  However, I'm at a loss as to the call
for a "thorough review" and patience.

   This issue is as black and white as it ever gets.
The Council got bad legal advice and it was
too reticent to stand up for a fellow
citizen's right to participate in a public hearing.
There is *no rule* prohibiting participation by
P&Z members (or any advisory commission).

   There is nothing to fix.  The laws and rules
are in place to achieve fair and equitable
participation.  All that is required is
for the Council and attorney acknowledge that
a mistake was made, and to not let it happen
again.   Starting now!

--
Greg Brown (gregb@alaskapacific.edu)
Associate Professor and Chair

--Boundary_(ID_etFxEmFmIOgKnGnOc25kIg)

<head>
</head>
Jon Kimberling wrote:<br>
PM meeting of the Administrative Committee of the City Council we  will continue
discussing&nbsp;possible changes to city procedures relative to  public hearings.
As was noted in a recent posting to vision2020, it is not  illegal for the
City to receive testimony from commission members. However, in  the recent
past, members of at least two different commissions were not allowed  to
testify before council. The Mayor decided not to change&nbsp;the  process&nbsp;in the
middle of a hearing. I personally support that decision.  </font></div>
our  procedures.&nbsp;I believe it will take some time to&nbsp;accomplish this. These
 are important decisions and should not be made hastily. Therefore,&nbsp;it is
a  perfect time&nbsp;to offer the Mayor and Council your  comments.&nbsp;</font></div>
&nbsp; &nbsp;I would certainly encourage Moscow residents to <br>
comment. &nbsp;However, I'm at a loss as to the call<br>
for a "thorough review" and patience.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp;This issue is as black and white as it ever gets. &nbsp;<br>
The Council got bad legal advice and it was<br>
too reticent to stand up for a fellow<br>
citizen's right to participate in a public hearing.<br>
There is *no rule* prohibiting participation by<br>
P&amp;Z members (or any advisory commission).<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp;There is nothing to fix. &nbsp;The laws and rules<br>
are in place to achieve fair and equitable <br>
participation. &nbsp;All that is required is <br>
for the Council and attorney acknowledge that <br>
a mistake was made, and to not let it happen<br>
again. &nbsp; Starting now!<br>
  <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Greg Brown (<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:gregb@alaskapacific.edu">gregb@alaskapacific.edu</a>)
Associate Professor and Chair
Environmental Science Department
Alaska Pacific University
(907) 564-8267
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://polar.alaskapacific.edu/gregb">http://polar.alaskapacific.edu/gregb</a></pre>

--Boundary_(ID_etFxEmFmIOgKnGnOc25kIg)--