[Vision2020] taxation

Dale Courtney dmcourtn@moscow.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:31:33 -0800

Scott wrote:
> I based my 31.8% cumulative tax calculation for $100k of
> income entirely on the tax tables.  For Federal tax as I move
> through the tiers, I would pay $0 on the first $6000 of
> income earned, roughly %15 on the dollars I earn for my first
> $6001 through $27950, etc.
>  The top dollars I'm earning would be taxed at a rate of 30%,
> but the 30% doesn't apply to the entire $100K, only to the
> dollars I make between $67001 and $100k.

Yes, but does this include all of the property taxes as well?

Plus, there are other tax burdens that you may not be considering (Social
Security, etc).

That 40% number included the fully-burdened, cumulative tax rate when
everything is considered together.

> Also, if you want to avoid fed and state income taxes
> altogether you can buy tax-free municipal bonds.  The
> downside to some in this case is that you would be supporting
> a government infrastructure which you may, for whatever
> reason, find distasteful.

I'm not sure why you think I would find government distasteful. Libertarians
are not anarchists -- though from the Left's perspective, I guess a
government that does what the Constitution tells it to may appear that way.

Might be worth a read back to the Federalist Papers to see what our Founding
Fathers had intended for our federal government to do (and not do!).

Have a Merry Christmas!

Best,
Dale