[Vision2020] First Mad Cow Case in U.S.

Dick Schmidt dickschmidt@moscow.com
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:21:16 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C3C99A.B36A71B0

Janesta,

I was born and raised on a dairy farm and back in the 1990's when =
England had it's Mad Cow disaster I read everything I could find on the =
internet and followed it closely. I was living in Tennessee at the time =
and Bill Frist and Fred Thompson were the senators then. I emailed them =
and strongly suggested that our U.S. Department of Agriculture have =
ready a plan when Mad Cow disease arrived here.

I don't know how many of you really followed what happened in England =
but first of all their head of Agriculture lied to them. He came out and =
proclaimed they had it all under control and it exploded in the weeks =
following his statement. I certainly hope it doesn't happen as severe =
here as it did in England. In England they had their Army help kill, =
pile and burn millions of cattle. It is a very gruesome sight. Our Ann =
Veneman, Agriculture Secretary, said "We remain confident in the safety =
of our food supply". Sorry Ann, right now I'm not convinced.

One news report here said that it doesn't affect humans but another one =
did. The English reported that it could affect humans. Two people have =
died in Idaho in the past 6 months from Creutzfeldt Jakob disease but =
they haven't determined where they got it. It can be passed from animals =
and is an extremely painful death.

We still use dead animal parts in some animal feed in our country for =
horses, pigs, chickens but it is not supposed to used in cattle feed. It =
is hard for me to believe that it couldn't accidentally get put in =
cattle feed. I sure hope this isn't the way it was introduced or we will =
have hundred more herds that will be infected.

I just saw that Japan and South Korea have stopped all beef imports from =
U.S. and I'm sure more will follow. McDonalds stock has already fallen =
and it will be terrible tomorrow. Chicago Board of Trade may not open =
cattle trading tomorrow.=20

I am somewhat familiar with the area around where it was discovered in =
Mabton, WA and there are a lot of large (1,000 cow) dairy herds in that =
area and a couple large beef operations. Lets all pray that we only have =
1 cow infected as Canada has so far.

Dick Schmidt

  ----- Original Message -----=20