[Vision2020] taxation

Scott Dredge sdredge@yahoo.com
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:56:13 -0800 (PST)

Dale,

I'm sure this will all work out much better than your
gloom and doom scenarios.  I also expect that with
fewer workers in the job pool, those workers will
enjoy nice big fat paychecks and won't be hurting too
terribly to support the infrastructure that allows
them to flourish.  Do you have a graph on that?  The
increase of median salaries when the worker pool
shrinks and yet the demand for workers grows?

As for thinking outside the box, about 10 years ago
when I was attending an investment seminar, the
speaker was covering the topic of what type of
strategies could be used to stay out of the higher tax
brackets.  I had what I thought was a simple question
for him which was along the lines "Do you have any
suggestions on how I can get myself into the highest
tax bracket?".  Fortunately I was able to figure out
not only how to increase my income to get into the
highest tax bracket, but to exceed the top bracket and
go all the way into the nether regions of the tax code
and into something called Alternative Minimum Tax
(AMT).  I still carry a hefty AMT credit from 7 years
ago that I'll likely keep on my tax return for the
rest of my life.  And yet I rejoice in this
accomplishment instead of despairing in it.

Now, for the visionaries on this list who still fall
for the same old tired ploy of "tax write offs" and
who for some reason want to reduce their taxable
income for the 2003 tax year, please donate generously
to the Christine and Scott Dredge Engineering
Endowment Fund in the University of Idaho Foundation.
This Endowment pays out scholarships to UI engineering
students in the form of $1000 to 1 senior, $1000 to 1
junior, $1000 to 1 sophomore, and $1000 to 1 freshman
annually.

Merry Christmas!

-Scott