[Vision2020] Tax Burden

Ron Force rforce@moscow.com
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:19:42 -0800

The Idaho State Tax Commission does an annual report on comparative tax
burden, comparing Idaho both nationally and regionally. The latest
report is FY 2000 (published 2003). You can find it at:
http://www2.state.id.us/tax/tax_burden.htm

It doesn't cover 2001's reduction in corporate and individual income tax
rates (which greatly benefitted businesses and upper-income individuals)
and 2002's increase in the sales tax.

It has many charts and graphs, and takes a while to download in .pdf
format. Here's the intro:

"TAX BURDEN IN IDAHO AND THE UNITED STATES – FISCAL YEAR 2000 IDAHO
REVENUE SYSTEM - SUMMARY:
The Idaho revenue and taxation picture is typified by moderate overall
taxes and a broad structure with good balance between tax components.
When observed on a regional basis, Idaho is in the somewhat unusual
position of relying on three major taxes (income, sales, and
property),as opposed to the systems hinged on only two taxes that are
found in each of our border states except Utah. On the basis of taxes
paid per person,the breadth of the Idaho system produces the effect of
being moderate in
most specific tax types, while ranking our overall per capita tax burden
39th highest nationally and 10th highest in the eleven western states.
Because of relatively low income in Idaho (with a rank of 42nd
nationally and 8th out of 11 western states), however, our tax burden
relative toincome is above the U.S. median at 20th nationally, and Idaho
is 5th highest out of the 11 western states with respect to this
measurement.
The Idaho tax system traditionally has tended to rely too little on
property tax and sales tax, and comparatively too much on motor vehicle
taxes and income taxes in relation to both regional and national
practices. This year’s pattern shows increased reliance on corporate
income tax. Similar overall patterns emerge using either income-based or
population-based comparisons; however our tax burden appears
considerably lower when computed on a per capita basis."

Ron Force			rforce@moscow.com
Moscow, ID USA